Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

2015 Book Reviews Pt. 3

I didn't do a reading review in 2014, primarily because of time, and I wasn't blogging much in Dec. 2014/Jan. 2015. This time, I'm reallyi trying to blog at least once a week. So, I'm dividing my lists into 3 sections:

Military History
Spiritual
Brain Candy

Most of my reviews are a few sentences in length, but, as you might expect since I didn't blog much at the beginning of 2015, either, my reviews for books I read during that time are rather short, too. In addition, these reviews (brain candy) were short because the books were so light, there wasn't much to review. They were either fun or not.

So, without further ado, here's today's reviews of Brain Candy.

1)Tom Swift and the Cosmic Astronauts (by Victor Appleton II). Serious brain candy. *

2)The Westing Game (by ??) - A murder mystery of sorts that I read to Benjamin.
*.5

3)Hardy Boys: The Clue of the Broken Blade - * simply because it's the Hardy Boys. I read this one to Matthew.

4)The Hawk That Dare Not Hunt By Day (by Scott O'Dell) - Historical Fiction regarding the story of William Tyndale. Read it to Benjamin. Good story, and brought some good discussion with him.

5)Secret Agent on Flight 101 - Hardy Boys Book I read to Matthew.
*

6)Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (by ) - This was good brain candy, and a good book in the Star Wars Universe. As the title implies, this occurs centuries before Anakin was born, even before hyperdrives were invented. Good story. *

7)As You Wish (by Cary Elwes)- A great memoir of the making of Princess Bride, with a little bit of Cary's (Westle's) biography and the history of the book thrown in for good measure. This is a fun and funny book, with some poignant parts, as well. It's more than brain candy, yet not deep. It's difficult to put into any one genre - much like Cary says everybody struggled to categorize the movie - so difficult to rate, but I think I'll give this
*.5. It's not quite good enough for 4 stars, but close.

8)Law of the Desert Born (by Louis L'Amour) - A collection of short westerns. Good brain candy. .5

9)Sackett's Land (by Louis L'Amour) - The beginning of the Sackett Saga. Good start. I enjoy this author tremendously. Hearing stories about the women he portrays makes me appreciate my wife all the more, as she's got similar characteristics of the women L'Amour portrays: Willing to go on adventures with the man she loves; willing to do hard things; loves the outdoors. Yeah, I'm glad she's my wife.
*

10)To The Far Blue Mountains (by Louis L'Amour) - Book number 2 of the Sackett Saga. Continuation of Barnabas Sackett's story, and how he finally died a warrior. *

11)The Warrior's Path (by Louis L'Amour) - Book number 3 of the Sackett Saga. This book follows - primarily - Kin-Ring Sackett, Barnabas' first-born, with a little more about Yance, son #2, as they break up a group of female slavers.
*
posted from Bloggeroid

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home