Book Reviews: Biographies
This is my fourth and last post of books I've read during the first half of 2014. For my other reviews, the reader can follow these links:
Fiction (the reader will find my philosophy of my reviews, too)
Leadership/Pastoring
Theology
Towards the end of 2013 I heard about the movie, "Lone Survivor," and that it was based on the book of the same name. The movie sounded great, so I checked the book out of the library (I try and read books first when I can in these situations) and read it. That started me on a road of reading books about Navy SEALs. I don't know why, but it's what I've been reading of late. So, here are my thoughts on the books I've been reading along these lines.
The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell, with Patrick Robinson: This was an amazing book about the ill-fated "Operation Redwing," and the lost members of SEAL Team 10 in Afghanistan, as told by the eye-witness, Marcus Luttrell. However, before jumping into the actual operation, Marcus explains both how he became a SEAL (from his teen days getting his body ready for it), and a little history of the situation in Afghanistan that they were jumping into. Marcus then tells the story of the actual operation, with all it's gore, sadness, loyalty, and heroics. He talks about each member who participated, as well what was going on at home when the news hit the U.S. He talks about his faith in God, his love for the U.S., and his love for Texas. Anybody who has friends from Texas would understand if I said that his love for Texas often seemed greater than his love for anything but his family, but the rest of us will excuse that. He then tells the aftermath of the story - what happened after everyone returned to the U.S., and the process of recovery. While this story is entertaining, it's anything but light. The reader gets a much better idea of what makes a Navy SEAL, but, more importantly, what a Navy SEAL is made of. The lessons about loyalty, perseverance, friendship, making and attaining personal goals, and honoring your word are priceless. A word of warning, though: This book has some pretty strong language/profanity. It's not something surprising to those who know military men (There's a reason for the phrase, "He swore like a sailor."), but it can be a put-off for some. So, I'll give this book a 4/5 stars.
American Sniper by Chris Kyle, with Scott McEwen and Jim Defelice: This is the autobiography of "the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history," based on eye-witness reports of confirmed kills. This is another SEAL story, but not as good, in my opinion, as "The Lone Survivor." The story is good, but I don't feel it was told as well as Luttrell's. Interestingly enough, though the story ends well in the book, I was actually sadder with this book than with Lone Survivor. The primary reason for this was the emptiness and difficulty Kyle had knowing how to love his family. I don't think it was for a lack of trying, so much as it was a lack of know-how, a lack of a working relationship with God, and a lack of people coming alongside him to help him do it well. I especially am disappointed in Kyle's version of how our Navy leadership failed him, but I guess, to some degree, that's to be expected. Their job isn't to make a family work, but to defend our nation, and family is simply another sacrifice needed to make that happen. Hmmm... a blog post I'm not sure I'm qualified to write about, having not been in the military. Anyway, the positives of the book are the details Kyle gives of all his different operations, and his great perspective of not only what it means to be a SEAL (different than Luttrell's in my opinion), but also the Iraq and Afghan wars, and the different individual operations he was a part of. Overall, though, I think I came away disappointed in the book. I'm not sure I can put a finger on why, other than I think I expected more character from Kyle, or maybe a happier ending about how he loved his wife and kids. He certainly tried, leaving the Navy in order to be home with them. He also did a great job out of the Navy, creating a sustainable business, and being a part of many non-profits that care for "wounded warriors." Yet he struggled with blaming his wife for having to leave his "first love," rather than making her his first love in the first place. Or maybe I'm disappointed because I know the ending isn't happy. Shortly after the book was published, Kyle and a friend were gunned down at a shooting range by a man they were trying to help overcome PTSD. Whatever the reason, I left the book unsatisfied with it. I give it a 2/5 stars. For those wanting an idea of what it's like to be a SEAL, I strongly recommend "The Lone Survivor."
Service: A Navy SEAL at War by Marcus Luttrell: This is really just a sequel to "The Lone Survivor." It follows Marcus as he gets back into the fight in Iraq, moves up in rank, and learns more about what it means to lead... even when that leadership means making the tough call (with help from his commanding officer) that he's too broken up to lead in the field anymore. However, Marcus makes a point of not only talking about his role, but he also honors many other men from all branches of the military that he meets in Iraq. The reader also learns a bit more about Marcus' rescue and the details of getting the bodies back of his comrades. Once again, this is an excellent book. Marcus has obviously learned more about how to write, as it's even better than his last book (which was a bit rushed so he could get back into the field, we find out in this one). The stories are great, and he generally stays away from politicizing things. Finally, the reader learns about his new found wife as Marcus leaves the Navy and moves into civilian life. We also learn about his brother, and what his brother is doing now (at least through 2012). It's a great book, all around, and I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Fiction (the reader will find my philosophy of my reviews, too)
Leadership/Pastoring
Theology
Towards the end of 2013 I heard about the movie, "Lone Survivor," and that it was based on the book of the same name. The movie sounded great, so I checked the book out of the library (I try and read books first when I can in these situations) and read it. That started me on a road of reading books about Navy SEALs. I don't know why, but it's what I've been reading of late. So, here are my thoughts on the books I've been reading along these lines.
The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell, with Patrick Robinson: This was an amazing book about the ill-fated "Operation Redwing," and the lost members of SEAL Team 10 in Afghanistan, as told by the eye-witness, Marcus Luttrell. However, before jumping into the actual operation, Marcus explains both how he became a SEAL (from his teen days getting his body ready for it), and a little history of the situation in Afghanistan that they were jumping into. Marcus then tells the story of the actual operation, with all it's gore, sadness, loyalty, and heroics. He talks about each member who participated, as well what was going on at home when the news hit the U.S. He talks about his faith in God, his love for the U.S., and his love for Texas. Anybody who has friends from Texas would understand if I said that his love for Texas often seemed greater than his love for anything but his family, but the rest of us will excuse that. He then tells the aftermath of the story - what happened after everyone returned to the U.S., and the process of recovery. While this story is entertaining, it's anything but light. The reader gets a much better idea of what makes a Navy SEAL, but, more importantly, what a Navy SEAL is made of. The lessons about loyalty, perseverance, friendship, making and attaining personal goals, and honoring your word are priceless. A word of warning, though: This book has some pretty strong language/profanity. It's not something surprising to those who know military men (There's a reason for the phrase, "He swore like a sailor."), but it can be a put-off for some. So, I'll give this book a 4/5 stars.
American Sniper by Chris Kyle, with Scott McEwen and Jim Defelice: This is the autobiography of "the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history," based on eye-witness reports of confirmed kills. This is another SEAL story, but not as good, in my opinion, as "The Lone Survivor." The story is good, but I don't feel it was told as well as Luttrell's. Interestingly enough, though the story ends well in the book, I was actually sadder with this book than with Lone Survivor. The primary reason for this was the emptiness and difficulty Kyle had knowing how to love his family. I don't think it was for a lack of trying, so much as it was a lack of know-how, a lack of a working relationship with God, and a lack of people coming alongside him to help him do it well. I especially am disappointed in Kyle's version of how our Navy leadership failed him, but I guess, to some degree, that's to be expected. Their job isn't to make a family work, but to defend our nation, and family is simply another sacrifice needed to make that happen. Hmmm... a blog post I'm not sure I'm qualified to write about, having not been in the military. Anyway, the positives of the book are the details Kyle gives of all his different operations, and his great perspective of not only what it means to be a SEAL (different than Luttrell's in my opinion), but also the Iraq and Afghan wars, and the different individual operations he was a part of. Overall, though, I think I came away disappointed in the book. I'm not sure I can put a finger on why, other than I think I expected more character from Kyle, or maybe a happier ending about how he loved his wife and kids. He certainly tried, leaving the Navy in order to be home with them. He also did a great job out of the Navy, creating a sustainable business, and being a part of many non-profits that care for "wounded warriors." Yet he struggled with blaming his wife for having to leave his "first love," rather than making her his first love in the first place. Or maybe I'm disappointed because I know the ending isn't happy. Shortly after the book was published, Kyle and a friend were gunned down at a shooting range by a man they were trying to help overcome PTSD. Whatever the reason, I left the book unsatisfied with it. I give it a 2/5 stars. For those wanting an idea of what it's like to be a SEAL, I strongly recommend "The Lone Survivor."
Service: A Navy SEAL at War by Marcus Luttrell: This is really just a sequel to "The Lone Survivor." It follows Marcus as he gets back into the fight in Iraq, moves up in rank, and learns more about what it means to lead... even when that leadership means making the tough call (with help from his commanding officer) that he's too broken up to lead in the field anymore. However, Marcus makes a point of not only talking about his role, but he also honors many other men from all branches of the military that he meets in Iraq. The reader also learns a bit more about Marcus' rescue and the details of getting the bodies back of his comrades. Once again, this is an excellent book. Marcus has obviously learned more about how to write, as it's even better than his last book (which was a bit rushed so he could get back into the field, we find out in this one). The stories are great, and he generally stays away from politicizing things. Finally, the reader learns about his new found wife as Marcus leaves the Navy and moves into civilian life. We also learn about his brother, and what his brother is doing now (at least through 2012). It's a great book, all around, and I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Labels: Biography, Book Reviews



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home