Frustrated with comparisons
I just finished reading Walt Mueller's latest blog post. It was good, and it prompted me to think about a few things. However, what it prompted most was another round of comparisons.
"Well, at least my family eats together more than that.
"Well, at least we don't watch that much T.V." (Though I can't say we don't have one anymore.)
"I don't spend nearly that much money on eating out." (Though I'd like to have the income to do so.)
Lately I've become very frustrated with myself regarding how often I compare myself - or my family, or my wife, or... whatever - with others. What I realize I'm saying is that as long as I can compare myself favorably against others, I'm not that bad. It's frustrating because I know it's a lie from hell. Pastor Doug spoke on it this past Sunday when he talked about "Image." When I compare how well I'm doing, my level of sin (level!?), or how I look with others, I'm falling into a trap. It may be the trap that I'm doing fine when in reality there's something wrong (e.g. being overweight isn't a good thing, even if I am skinnier than a large portion of people my age), or it could be the lie that I'm awful because I'm not at the same place as somebody else (e.g. that guy's ten years older than me, and look what he can do on a mt. bike). Either way, it's a lie that Satan can use in a variety of ways, and it's frustrating that I give into it so often.
Yes, comparison can be used by God to move me towards Godliness, but it should be done with caution, and much prayer. So, I'm venting here, while also praying: God, please help me not to believe the comparison lies, but to hear your voice regarding all things - sin, health, my identity, etc., and to use the things I see around me to move me towards Christ-likeness in how I view myself, my family (with all it's joys and frustrations and imperfections), and even my relationship with you.
Hmmm... I'm reminded of this post I made some time ago about seeing weeds instead of flowers. As I look out our front window, I'm reminded again of all the beauty God is working in our lives. As I look at our garden in back (Mmmmm - Tomatoes are ripening), I'm reminded that He is producing fruit in our lives - in my life. Thank you God that you are at work in the cracked and broken vesl
Labels: Personal, Thankfulness, Theology
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home