Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Monday, June 21, 2010

Do I See Flowers or Weeds

Sometime this weekend I was sitting on my front step, looking out over our yard. I looked at the flower gardens all around. We have flower gardens along three of the four sides of our house, and almost completely around the outside border of our property (plus a long raspberry area). My first reaction while looking at the front flower gardens was to see how many weeds there were coming back up, especially grass amongst the strawberry patch. Then I thought about all the grass and weeds that needed to be taken out from our back yard yet, as well as by the lilac bush. Then it struck me how much I was seeing the weeds rather than all the beautiful flowers that were blooming, many of which I don't even know the names to, but they're beautiful none-the-less. We have roses, lilies, petunias, pansies, zinnias, dahlias, strawberries, raspberries, irises, and, as I said, many I don't know the names for. We are blessed, and all I'm seeing are the weeds.

Later...

There are so many chores that the boys need to get done. Matthew, in his efforts to clean the bathroom (and help his brother, Mark), has left Comet all over the toilet and the floor around the shower. He was supposed to clean up the dinner dishes the past two nights, but hasn't finished the dishes in the sink yet. I had to get on Ben because he keeps getting distracted from finishing up even one chore before he's off trying to play with his toys or riding his scooter. Mark has to be dragged from a book... if he has one hasn't finished yet. It struck me last night and this morning just how much I'm not seeing the flowers for all the weeds... the very few weeds for my boys. Benajmin vacuumed the whole family room last night. Matthew may not have finished, but what he did of the kitchen is done well and clean, and the dishwasher's full and running. The yard is mowed thanks to Mark. Matthew showed a tremendous compassion and servant's heart in helping his brother, Mark, to clean the bathroom rather than leaving him to do it himself. Above and beyond the chores, I had the opportunity to focus on my three younger boys over the weekend while Michael was at baseball. Benjamin beat Shari and Matthew at Monopoly, and he beat Shari, Matthew, and I at Settlers of Catan. We spent a couple of hours this weekend playing badmitton, and they were learning eye-hand coordination as well as just having fun. We spent a lot of time laughing during those games.

As I look at the ways that we're struggling in life right now, God is reminding me to spend more time looking at the flowers (something about stopping and smelling the roses, which we have quite a few of in our yard) and less time worrying about, or focusing on the weeds. Don't ignore them, but don't focus on them. Learn to take more time to be thankful rather than more time to complain about all the weeding that still needs to be done. As I learn to enjoy these things, I think I'll enjoy life a whole lot more, too.
"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phillipians 4:11-13 (NIV)

Well, I'm still learning, but I'm getting there.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home