Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Hunting Outcome for Today

Took Michael. He did excellently. He's still got to learn much about walking quietly, but for a first time, he did well, and was very observant, seeing many things that we missed because we were just looking for deer and not appreciating all of God's creation.

Went up the East Fork of Lolo Creek. I saw a White-Tailed Doe. That is, I saw the white tail. I was busy changing gloves, and couldn't even get my rifle unslung before it was gone into the woods.

Later, when we stopped to appreciate some of God's creation (Bill explained some of the trees to Michael), I heard and saw movement in those trees a little ahead. We crouched, stalked, and then made too much noise. I walked into the woods after Bill went up the road a bit. Michael stayed put and quiet, doing both very well to make sure he wasn't shot accidentally. The animal eventually broke cover and ran. Bill hollered out the amazing (to this new guy in Montana): "Cow moose! Cow moose!" I think he wanted to make sure I didn't shoot it in my excitement. I hadn't even seen it, unfortunately, but the tracks were cool, and Michael got to see it for a brief second. That was cool.

Otherwise, we didn't see any sign of deer or elk, not even crossing in the new snow on the road. It was a beautiful morning, with a gentle snow fall the whole time. I enjoyed the time, even if we didn't get anything. Now, on to planning for tomorrow night's event.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Sounds like a great time. I am hoping to get out this weekend myself for Whitetail(I wish I could take my son). I love that feeling you get when outside and all is still and you are really straining to hear whats around you and soon you begin to realize all of the beauty and grandeur and the love of God. Makes me think of Grandma's hymn "How Great Thou Art"

    By Blogger Darin, at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home