Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Fireproof

fireproofbanner

I have seen a ton of Christian movies over the years. By Christian movies, I mean movies with a)a decidedly Christian message, and b)made by Christians in some way shape or form. I can literally count on one hand the number of films that were well done in all ways - cinematography, storyline, acting, etc. That is to say, those were films that could compare favorably to any average Hollywood fare in those arenas. "The End of the Spear" and "The Passion" are two of the best. However, I can now add, "Fireproof" to that list without any hesitation. Thanks to our pastor and The Garden of Read'n (which purchased 1000 so that the local theater agreed to show the movie), Shari and I went and saw the movie last night (our first date in at least a month), and enjoyed it tremendously without feeling guilty because it was so poorly filmed, or had such cheesy acting, or anything of that nature.

Some of the highlights for us included the way the writers mixed humor with the seriousness of the topics involved. The interaction with the neighbors after a few of the fights had us in stitches. The writers covered the topics (marriage, selfishness, internet porn, idolatry, and the Gospel, to name a few) with grace, mixing all those topics in so well that they felt natural instead of forced in because we want to shove as much sin and Jesus stuff in as possible. The characters were real. The Godly men and women admitted to and struggled with their own issues, even as they talked about how they were fighting to overcome them, or had in the past. Those who were the antagonists of the show weren't demonized, and there wasn't some amazing, miraculous, unrealistic situation that converted/fixed them. The set-ups for themes and situations later weren't overdone or focused on so strongly that they felt staged. There weren't easy answers, and, like real life, the characters didn't see all the stuff we saw, so they made choices not knowing the outcome we knew would happen.

I don't want to make it sound like some perfect movie that will cause all viewers to get saved, all film critics to shout, "Oscar," or all marriages to get fixed. There were weak moments. There were some scenes where it felt like the actors were acting instead of being in character (if you understand what I'm saying). There were a few situations that felt a little forced and "preachy." However, I'd stack this movie up against any average movie Hollywood has to offer, and I think it could hold its own.

In the end, though, it was the message - and how it was communicated - that really made the movie amazing. This man was willing to fight for his marriage, even when he was losing. The tag line for the movie (used in an amazing way by Kirk Cameron's character) is, "Never leave your partner behind." I still get something in my gut just thinking about it. It's a movie that men will like because it's about fighting for something bigger than ourselves, and dealing with those things as men, not with our emotions. Women will love this movie because it's well balanced with emotional moments, and helping women deal with their emotions, and weed through the valid and not so valid ones. Neither the husband nor the wife are portrayed as the total villain, or the total victim. We see both sides of the pain, including the struggle of trying to fight when your heart isn't in it, keeping us from making excuses.

I don't care whether you've got a great marriage or it's struggling, or you aren't married at all. This is a must see movie. Check it out, and let me know what you think. If you have to wait until it comes out on DVD, then encourage your church to give a screening of it. I'm hoping to show it to our students before the school year's out.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • I agree with you 100% It was just a good movie. The good parts outweighed the bad by a longshot.Then if you take into consideration that no-one was paid, that makes it an excellant movie. The people did it because they wanted to. WOW
    I've encouraged my young sons to go see it.
    thanks for your thoughts!

    By Blogger Glenda, saved by grace, at 6:30 AM  

  • Exactly right. All Christian couples should see this movie.

    I wonder how many non-Christians have seen the movie and what their opinions have been?

    By Blogger l4k, at 12:35 PM  

  • Lewis: I wonder that same thing. The idea that it's a "Christian" movie bothers me somewhat because it may be a turnoff for those who aren't followers of Christ. On the other hand, I wouldn't want them to take anything out of the movie, especially the Gospel. I appreciate the fact that the agnostic of the fire dept. didn't become a Christ-follower. It made the movie real.

    By Blogger Pastor Paul, at 12:48 PM  

  • Glenda: I agree that the good outweighs the bad. However, as somebody who values excellence (despite not being excellent in my planning for our latest event), I want to comment on excellence w/o sounding like a movie snob... if I can. I disagree that just because it was an all-volunteer movie that that makes it excellent. That fact makes its success and quality amazing, but excellence is based on both objective and subjective values. We can't base quality on how people feel about the film. I'm convinced that's one of the reasons past "Christian" movies have been so poorly done. One of the best "Christian" movies out there had a homosexual actor as a main character. While there could certainly be arguments about whether that was a Godly idea or not, it saddens me that there aren't more Christian actors out there of that caliber. We must people of excellence according to objective standards, not just according to how something makes us feel.

    By Blogger Pastor Paul, at 12:53 PM  

  • Thank you both for your comments. It's not often somebody outside my circle even reads this thing. I appreciate your input, and all input, even when I disagree (As I did recently with another commenter who's part of my family.).

    By Blogger Pastor Paul, at 12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home