Halloween
Last Friday was Halloween. There are many opinions on how and whether to celebrate the event. As a family, we endeavor to engage the culture w/o encouraging the fear aspect of the holiday. As a youth pastor, I try and do the same. With that in mind, Shari stayed home and gave out candy, while I took the high schoolers on a special trip: Reverse Trick-or-Treating. The Flower Haus here in Lolo gave us a special deal on 100 carnations. We took those, divided into two groups, and went door-to-door. Our basic spiel was, "Happy Halloween! We're from Lolo Community Church, and we decided to do something different this Halloween. Instead of taking your candy, we want to give you something. Would you like this flower? Is there anything we can pray with you for before we leave?"
It was an amazing response from the kids and the adults. The kids who gave were pretty shy at first. However, as more adults responded positively, the kids grew bolder in going and knocking on the door. It was a stretch for them, but a great one. In my group, Amy - relatively new, and a frosh - was bit slow to get started, but warmed as the staff encouraged her and affirmed her first effort. As for the adults, they were tremendously receptive. We probably prayed for at least half the people we visited. One teen girl asked us to pray for her dad's back. Another family asked us to pray for their son in Iraq. Then there were the families who really enjoyed themselves. Thankfully Joanna handles humor well, because this guy interrupted her many times with funny remarks. When she said she was from LCC, he said, "That's funny. I came from my mom." When she offered him the flower, he hollered into the kitchen (which we could see), "Honey, it's for you." Then he made her do the whole spiel again. When he started to harass her again, his wife hit him with her towel and told him to be quiet, or dinner would burn. It reminded me of something my parents would do. Then we got to pray for them.
Afterwards, the other group had some funny stories, too. They told of one elderly lady who not only forced candy on them (they were told they couldn't take any, no matter how much they offered, as we had tons at the church, and our goal was to give, not take), but through it after them (I hesitate to say at them) as they were leaving for those who didn't come to the door. And it was the big stuff. Another lady through them gum packs. I couldn't say they didn't try to not take the stuff. As it was, I myself took a sucker. I guess I am one for a little girl. She was about 3, and she offered it so sweetly, I couldn't give no for an answer. Great example, eh?
One final story here. Along the way, our group picked up a fairy wand that a trick-or-treater had obviously dropped and left. We played with it along the way, but didn't toss it for some reason. We're silly that way, I guess. So, as we're getting ready to leave the 3-yr. old girl's home, she glances out at Lindy (who happened to be carrying the wand), and said, "Give that back!" She then proceeds to stomp out and take back her want. We looked bewildered at the parents, and told them where we found it. Yep, seems she did lose one that looked just like this one around that location. No point to the story, but I thought it was funny at the time.
It was an amazing response from the kids and the adults. The kids who gave were pretty shy at first. However, as more adults responded positively, the kids grew bolder in going and knocking on the door. It was a stretch for them, but a great one. In my group, Amy - relatively new, and a frosh - was bit slow to get started, but warmed as the staff encouraged her and affirmed her first effort. As for the adults, they were tremendously receptive. We probably prayed for at least half the people we visited. One teen girl asked us to pray for her dad's back. Another family asked us to pray for their son in Iraq. Then there were the families who really enjoyed themselves. Thankfully Joanna handles humor well, because this guy interrupted her many times with funny remarks. When she said she was from LCC, he said, "That's funny. I came from my mom." When she offered him the flower, he hollered into the kitchen (which we could see), "Honey, it's for you." Then he made her do the whole spiel again. When he started to harass her again, his wife hit him with her towel and told him to be quiet, or dinner would burn. It reminded me of something my parents would do. Then we got to pray for them.
Afterwards, the other group had some funny stories, too. They told of one elderly lady who not only forced candy on them (they were told they couldn't take any, no matter how much they offered, as we had tons at the church, and our goal was to give, not take), but through it after them (I hesitate to say at them) as they were leaving for those who didn't come to the door. And it was the big stuff. Another lady through them gum packs. I couldn't say they didn't try to not take the stuff. As it was, I myself took a sucker. I guess I am one for a little girl. She was about 3, and she offered it so sweetly, I couldn't give no for an answer. Great example, eh?
One final story here. Along the way, our group picked up a fairy wand that a trick-or-treater had obviously dropped and left. We played with it along the way, but didn't toss it for some reason. We're silly that way, I guess. So, as we're getting ready to leave the 3-yr. old girl's home, she glances out at Lindy (who happened to be carrying the wand), and said, "Give that back!" She then proceeds to stomp out and take back her want. We looked bewildered at the parents, and told them where we found it. Yep, seems she did lose one that looked just like this one around that location. No point to the story, but I thought it was funny at the time.
Labels: High School Ministry, Miscellaneous
1 Comments:
What a great idea-to show the love of Jesus!!! Think I'll pass this one on to Raul. Loved all the stories-I had a good laugh. Shelly
By
Anonymous, at 7:53 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home