Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Four Hungry Mouths to Feed

We knew this would happen, and so it has. While not all four of our boys enjoy all types of meat (I have no clue why Mark doesn't like chicken), they all do enjoy meat, and they're eating more and more of it. So, as you're reading this, I'm off to southern Montana to try and at least find 1 elk, if not some deer, too (assuming I don't find them earlier this week). As the boys were growing up, as each one became potty-trained, Shari would exclaim with joy about how we no longer had the bill for that boy's diapers anymore (besides not having to change them... I'm not sure which was the added bonus). However, what we always told the other, and what others told us, was that it wouldn't last long. As the diapers disappeared, the food bill would increase. So it has. So, to offset that bill, I'm off to shoot some poor, defenseless animal who ways several hundred pounds more than me, has sharp, pointy horns, and, given half a chance, would happily trample and spear me with those horns and sharp hooves. Okay, that's not quite accurate for does or cows (female elk, not the bovine kind), and they don't have guns, but they can still be dangerous. So, did that last group of sentences really matter, or is it funny only in my own mind. For those wondering whether it's truly worth the money saved not buying a half a beef, or something of that nature, the answer is - so far - yes. The butchering and wrapping are done at the homes of people in our church, so I don't have to pay for that, and - again, so far - the actual cost of going on the trip, when shared, really is less than about $100.

Have a wonderful weekend. I'm writing this Tuesday night, and it will go live on Saturday. I'll let you know next Wed. how the hunt went... assuming I remember. Oh, and Go Griz!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • One thing I will forever take away from my short-term mission to Alaska years ago . . . Moose meat is the greatest. The greatest!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:53 AM  

  • I've never actually gone out hunting, which is a lack I feel keenly this time of year. Everyone else gets to fill freezers with Bambi, and I have to settle for what's on sale at Wal-Mart. :)

    If you think the boys eat a lot now, wait till puberty sets in. I remember my brother, when he was 12, open a full gallon of milk and, while standing inside the fridge door, guzzle the entire thing in one go without coming up for air. (And then he put the empty jug back in the fridge, which made my mom froth at the mouth.)

    By Blogger Joel, at 1:21 PM  

  • I've been told guzzling a full gallon of milk is physically impossible to do w/o throwing up. Your brother must have had an iron stomach... and been not to bright about mothers yet. Never, ever put anything empty back in the fridge.

    By Blogger Pastor Paul, at 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home