A Fresh Reminder
This morning, during my prayer time, I finished "Fresh Power" by Jim Cymbala. This isn't a new book (copyright 2001), and I've read it before. In fact, I read and discussed it with my partner, Nanette Hieb, when we were on staff together at Moses Lake YD. I want to bring it up now because of the fantastic reminder this book has given me. There are many things I gleaned from this book, but the over-arching theme that I was reminded of was of my need to be empowered by, annointed by, and led by the Holy Spirit. There were several great statements made by Mr. Cymbala throughout the book that helped me understand how to do this better. The prologue, which was a quote itself from D.L. Moody's book, "Secret Power," was a great lead in to our need. Here are a few other quotes from Mr. Cymbala.
"But when has the environment not been difficult for the gospel? Think of what the early church faced in hostile Jerusalem and the pagan Roman Empire. Yet they received power from on high and did exploits for God instead of just talking to themselves."
"This is what all pastors desperately require, starting with me. We need something with the mark of heaven upon it... Never mind just quoting verses from the Bible; they were looking for some sign of Christianity working itself out through real flesh and blood."
"We would do far better if we waited on the Lord and were sensitive to the mind of the Spirit about what to do, what to say, and what not to say as we walk among the needy people, broken relationships, and other problems that come our way."
"... but O, my friends, we are leaky vessels, and have to be kept right under the fountain all the time in order to keep full... let us keep near Him." This is actually a quote from a message D.L. Moody gave in 1876 regarding the difference between the Holy Spirit coming to live in believers at salvation, and our need to "keep on being filled with the Spirit" - a literal rendition of Ephesians 5:18
"... and I am still learning that far more is accomplished by persevering in prayer than in taking charge of things myself."
That last one is probably the most important quote, though, again there are many others. Of course, you, the reader, really don't get the weight of these just by reading this, but you get the idea.
One final note. Chapter 6 is all about the need for unity amongst us as Christians if we want to see the power of the Holy Spirit moving through us. Please pray that this would be true for our church - the Pastoral Team, the Church Board, and the Youth Staff. I'm especially wanting that last one, as it's the team I work with on the most regular basis. Your prayers would be deeply appreciated.
I highly recommend this book for anyone tired of just going through the motions, or feeling like your just living out another religion. It really does help one to see at least one aspect of what it means to live this adventure of faith in an authentic way instead of just talking about it.
Labels: Book Reviews, Youth Ministry
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home