Pride
I'm now reading through the book of Esther. There are some fascinating lessons to be learned from this book that never mentions God, yet shows His Hand and Sovereignty throughout. It's been an especially interesting journey because I've been reading two different commentaries as I study. One is written by a Presbyterian pastor, Dr. Mark Roberts (of California, no less), and the other by a more conservative, old-school type pastor, Dr. Warren Wiersbe. I have no doubt both are followers of Christ, but it's been interesting to hear their two very different responses to this book.
Unfortunately, time doesn't allow me to share the many things that I've received from these men. Today's reading is all I can do, and it's rather simple. The question I'm pondering - the question that's poking my heart - is whether I'm living with a heart of pride (Haman) or humility (Mordecai). Do I go looking for people to applaud me? Do I determine my worth by whether people like me, or people are telling me how wonderful I am? Or is my value resting in Christ alone? Worse yet, am I allowing my pride to determine whether I love others with Christ's love, or value them for what they can give me? This is something I'm pondering as I read chapter 6 & 7 of Esther and the thoughts of these godly men.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Unfortunately, time doesn't allow me to share the many things that I've received from these men. Today's reading is all I can do, and it's rather simple. The question I'm pondering - the question that's poking my heart - is whether I'm living with a heart of pride (Haman) or humility (Mordecai). Do I go looking for people to applaud me? Do I determine my worth by whether people like me, or people are telling me how wonderful I am? Or is my value resting in Christ alone? Worse yet, am I allowing my pride to determine whether I love others with Christ's love, or value them for what they can give me? This is something I'm pondering as I read chapter 6 & 7 of Esther and the thoughts of these godly men.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home