Duty-Good; Love-Better
While reading a commentary on the book of Ruth, I was struck and challenged by this statement, which dovetails well into my last post about serving:
God, please help me to serve today - the poor, the needy, the broken, the hurting - with Your love flowing through me. Duty is good. Serving out of His love coming from my heart is better.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
"We need constantly to be reminded that 1 Corinthians 13 comes between chapters 12 and 14. That is to say, the most spectacular gifts, the most skillful qualities, the most dutiful service are all as empty as "nothingness," if they are not motivated by love. So much that passes as service of the Lord is little more than religious duty. He is looking for the love of our hearts and He has given an example—in Christ..."I have many opportunities to serve others, but I need to remember that if "I have not love, they are a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal." (1 Cor. 13:1b)
God, please help me to serve today - the poor, the needy, the broken, the hurting - with Your love flowing through me. Duty is good. Serving out of His love coming from my heart is better.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Labels: Adult Ministry, Leadership, Personal, Theology
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home