Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Monday, March 24, 2014

Where Is Your Treasure?

Continuing my reading through Isaiah, I came across this verse:
"... and He will be the stability of your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of The Lord is Zion's treasure." (Isaiah 33:6, ESV)

"God is supremely esteemed. His center holds. Zion brims over with all that is just and right. God keeps your days stable and secure— salvation, wisdom, and knowledge in surplus, and best of all, Zion’s treasure, Fear-of- God." (Isaiah 33:5, 6 MSG)

"In that day he will be your sure foundation, providing a rich store of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge. The fear of the Lord will be your treasure." (Isaiah 33:6 NLT)


As I read this verse, it brought to mind other verses, and made me think about my "treasures."

"“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21 ESV)

"“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it." (Matthew 13:44-46 ESV)


I have many things that I treasure. Not all of them are "bad" things: my wife, my boys, my first Bible. I'm sure there are things that I need to let go. But these verses remind me to ask the question: Is knowing God the most important thing? Do I pursue Him like it is, or do my actions betray where my real treasures are: my selfish desires, appetites, and/or stuff? During a recent sermon, Pastor Raul asked questions along this line that were convicting. What made it convicting is I've seen him live this out well. He truly is willing to give up any treasure he owns if he thinks you need it more... or even if you're convinced you need it more. This comes from his conviction that it's all God's anyway. I'm sure it's not always easy, and that he endeavors to balance that with a desire to be a good steward of what God's given him (which isn't much - he's not wealthy in money or stuff), but, none-the-less, he lives out the truth he preached.

So, as I read, I think about it: Where is my treasure? Am I seeking God first? I guess I could end with that verse as a reminder:
"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." (Matthew 6:33 ESV)


What do you think it looks like to make the "fear of The Lord" your treasure?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home