Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Publicly Social Media

Many people have written blogs, articles, and posts about the dangers of posting on Social Media. I've not only talked about it, but have done my share of posts I wish I could take back. However, I "posted" something recently that got me thinking about what I say in public, too, and how similar it can be to social media.

I was coming from across the street back to the church. I had been volunteering (only for about 15 min. - don't put me on a pedestal) for a food bank program, and was on my way back to the church. So, that sets something up right there - I'm heading to the church, I've been volunteering, and there are a couple dozen people around, most of whom don't know me... or my wife.

I had, of course, locked the door and put up the closed sign. Before I could get across the street, my wife pulls up and tries to enter the building. I holler, "Hey, lady, can't you read." I smile, she gives me "a look," we chuckle, and we move on. However, I'm struck by what happens before I get to her. A lady we don't know, crossing the street a little down the block, also hollers, "Hey, they're closed!" and her tone didn't seem as friendly to me as my attitude was towards my wife. And that's what got me thinking about some questions. Because, you see, just like a social media/blog post, I don't know who's going to hear what I say/yell in a situation like that. Despite my feeling of anonymity, the reality was that everybody who saw that saw me continue to go and unlock the door for her - therefore, I'm a leader (in there minds) of the church. What have I just portrayed to them of Christ? Of Grace Harvest Church? Of how a Godly man should love his wife, or at least treat a lady?

Most of those people probably blew it off. However, it did get me thinking about those few who didn't, and I'm reminded again that I need to guard my words - not only for those I speak to, but also for those who may be listening. I want my words to be sweet, flavorful, and something that would give off the aroma of Christ, not something people are repelled by... even if it's just a quick FB post in a very public forum... like a parking lot.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home