Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Monday, January 27, 2014

A Prayer That They Not Be Safe

Dear God,

Please do not keep my boys safe. Oh, I don't want them hurt, but I don't want them safe, either. Please show Shari and I how to help them live life to the fullest, even when they don't have a lot of money. Please give us wisdom to know how to give them the freedom to try new things and fail; to take risks, even if they may get hurt; to always be pushing themselves, yet being smart about the risks they take. Help Shari and I to be an example of this, while encouraging them to go beyond our example. We are, after all, in our 40's, and not exactly able to abuse our bodies quite like we used to. Still, taking risks is more than rock climbing a difficult climb, or taking a mountain biking trail at full speed. It's trying something they've never tried, or doing something that's hard, yet worth the potential reward.

And when they actually do get hurt (and they will if they try these things, or take risks), please heal them, or give them the strength to move past their wounds rather than dwell on them. God, please help them not to get stuck in their pain, but to push through it to the next challenge. Please give them the wisdom to know the difference between time to heal and simply being afraid to "get back up on the horse." Please put people - close friends, older men, and definitely Shari and I - in their lives who will speak wisdom, encouragement, and even difficult-but-loving truth into their lives. I pray they will have the courage to not give up, and to get back out there and take more risks, learn more new things, and take the chance that they may get hurt again... because that's where growth occurs.

Lord, I pray that my boys would first and foremost know and love and surrender to you... and then that you would fill them full of life, and life more abundantly... even if that means they aren't safe.

(And please help Shari and I to set the example, whatever that means for us.)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home