Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Dream

Do you have a dream? Martin Luther King, Jr. did, and he wasn't able to see it come to fruition. Yet I would venture to guess that, in retrospect, most people, Christian and not, would agree that his dream was from The Lord. So, why wasn't he able to see the dream become reality? I don't know. Based on what I read of the prophets, God seemed to do that often. After all, not only did none of the prophets live to see the Christ, but it was several hundred years before He came.

I have dreams that I haven't seen come to pass yet, either. I believe that they are God-given dreams, and I don't understand what God's waiting for sometimes. My heart hurts tremendously because they feel like they're on life support, staying alive only because God won't let them die, but my heart is feeling like they might as well already be dead. In my reading of Isaiah this morning, though, God reminds me of an important truth and hope.

"I will wait for The Lord, who is hiding his face from the house of Jacob, and I will hope in him."
(Isaiah 8:17)

I don't know what God's waiting for, or why, but I will continue to trust him with my dreams and desires, especially those I know are from him. After all, if they are his, then they are his responsibility to bring about, not mine. I simply have to be obedient to what I know right now. This includes being obedient to doing what I've been told to do right now, even if I don't understand why I'm doing it. Can you imagine Isaiah's consternation when God kept telling him to have children, simply (so it would seem) as a sign unto Judah & Israel of how awful they were, and of God's impending judgement. What kind of dad would feel like a loving father naming his son "Maher-shalal-hash-baz," which means, "the spoil speeds, the prey hastens." "Let's celebrate our son's birth and naming so we can get depressed over Judah's future destruction. Yea!" Yet that's what Isaiah did (Chapter 8). Can we do any less while waiting for God to fulfill his purposes and good works in us? I will wait and hope in Him!

Do you have a dream that seems dead right now, something that you were sure God gave you? How can you hang on to that dream and trust God with it?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home