Reflecting on Asa
I just finished reading about Asa, king of Judah, in II Chronicles 14-16. He started out strong. For 35 years he reigned as a godly king, seeking God, tearing down the Baals and high places that worshiped other gods, etc. Then in his 36th year, for whatever reason (maybe it's explained in 1 or 2 Kings), he decided to do his own thing, and forgot God's power, authority, and presence. He even put in prison (stocks) the prophet who tried to rescue him by correcting him. God afflicted him with a disease in his feet, and he still refused to repent and return to God. Thankfully his son, Jehoshaphat learned from his father's mistakes. Still, it was a sad ending to such a great reign. Asa died after reigning 41 years. God allowed him to reign - and he suffered in rebellion against God - for 5 years after rejecting God's authority in his life. Started well, but, for some reason, ended his life rejecting God.
God, I started ministry strong 20 years ago. Please continue to draw me to you. I don't want to finish in bitterness and anger. I don't want to be an Asa. I want to finish like David, Paul, or Peter. Please give me the privilege of another 20 years of ministry, following your direction on where, to whom, and how, with an attitude not only of obedience, but of thankfulness, praise, and trust.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
God, I started ministry strong 20 years ago. Please continue to draw me to you. I don't want to finish in bitterness and anger. I don't want to be an Asa. I want to finish like David, Paul, or Peter. Please give me the privilege of another 20 years of ministry, following your direction on where, to whom, and how, with an attitude not only of obedience, but of thankfulness, praise, and trust.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Labels: Parenting, Personal, Theology, Youth Ministry
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home