Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Thankful for other's failings?

Lord, thank you for the failings of others. Not that I want others to fail, but I thank you that there are Godly men who fail, and are not ashamed or afraid to admit it. Those men encourage me, because I am more than aware of the times that I fail, and it reminds me not only that you forgive me, but that you can still use me.

Over the last few days, I've read of a few men who have failed, or felt like they did, yet God used them mightily. Today I read the morning reading from C.H. Spurgeon's devotional, "Morning and Evening." In it he explains how many times he has fallen, and how many times he's risen and continued on by the grace of God.

Yesterday I read one of my blogging mentors, Mark Ostreicher. He talked about struggling with unforgiveness - of somebody who had hurt him, then of himself. Then he talked about how God's grace came through instead of God's justice - for himself, and the person who had wounded him.

Then there are those who teach a similar lesson, only from a different angle. I've been reading 2 Kings, and that includes the story of Ahab. I've read that story several times, but somehow missed the part where this very evil king of Israel actually had a time of repentance and surrender to God, and God used even this evil king to rescue Israel for a short time.

I pray I never fall as far as Ahab. I know I'll never be completely like Christ this side of heaven. Yet knowing God can use Ahab is encouraging because I know I'll never fall completely away from His grace. Knowing how God used other men of the Bible, and throughout church history encourages me that He can and will use me, even when I do fail.

God, when I don't love my wife well; when I'm selfish and insist on my own way; when I give justice to my kids when they really need grace; when my pride tempts me to not ask You (or anybody else) for help; when I lust, covet, or even take something that's not mine - please, don't just offer to forgive me. Please pull me to you, hold me, remind me that You love me, are proud of me, and want me as Your child. Please call me to repentance in whatever way is necessary to get me to go there. Thank You that You have promised, "I will never leave you, nor forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home