Stormy Seas
Several years ago, Bob Bavis, a co-worker at Youth Dynamics, was struggling with his first run-in with brain cancer. He shared the story of how God brought peace to his heart by reminding him that, even in the storm, Jesus is in the boat (see Matt 8:23-27). I have hung onto that statement, "Jesus is in the boat" as a point of faith, reminding me that, not only is Jesus in the boat during the storm, but that, as I cry out to Him, He will rescue me, calming the storm... though He may let me go through the storm for a while to teach me more about trusting Him.
The other thought that came to my mind was from a long time ago (well, the song is). Scott Krippayne reminds us that Jesus does both for us - sometimes He calms the storm, and sometimes He calms us.
Thank you God that you walk through this with us... and give us the power and privilege to walk on water through the storm.
This morning Pastor Doug reminded me of a truth that I've also known, but was struck strongly by because of the storm Jesus is allowing me to go through currently. Pastor Doug brought up the story of Jesus walking on the water during the storm. Can you imagine even 10 foot waves, and Jesus is walking up and down them. He's not swimming, He's walking. I can't fathom or picture that. Then, in the midst of the storm, instead of calming it (which would have made it considerably easier to get in the boat) He calls Peter to get out (which Peter asked for!) and walk with Him. Peter didn't sink at first, but even when he did, it wasn't because the waves were too big, or because the wind pushed him over. It was because he took his eyes of Jesus and doubted what was happening. Then Jesus rescues him, walks with him back to the boat (note - He doesn't carry Peter, but walks with him), gets into the boat, then the wind and waves calm down.
As I'm walking through this storm, Jesus isn't calming the storm any. Instead He's walking with me through it, helping me to trust Him to keep me up through the wind, the waves, and even my own doubts. As I think about the waves in such a storm, and how Jesus simply walked on them, I am blown away that I have any doubts. I'm also blown away that He believes in me so much that He calls me to walk with Him through the storm, inviting me out of my nice safe boat (which isn't terribly safe in the storm, either, if you think about it).
A couple thoughts came to mind as Pastor Doug was sharing this morning. One was that I had never considered what it must have been like to walk in the storm. Here's a clip of some stormy seas that made me worship Him all the more for how awesome He is. These aren't as big as the waves in the movie, "Perfect Storm," but the clip doesn't have the choice words the movie clip does.
A couple thoughts came to mind as Pastor Doug was sharing this morning. One was that I had never considered what it must have been like to walk in the storm. Here's a clip of some stormy seas that made me worship Him all the more for how awesome He is. These aren't as big as the waves in the movie, "Perfect Storm," but the clip doesn't have the choice words the movie clip does.
The other thought that came to my mind was from a long time ago (well, the song is). Scott Krippayne reminds us that Jesus does both for us - sometimes He calms the storm, and sometimes He calms us.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home