Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Thursday, July 07, 2011

Rite of Passage, Pt. 2

Two days ago I started writing about rites of passage, and the one we had for Michael last weekend. I ended by saying that we made a special presentation at the end of the event. There was nothing special about the way I presented it, but what I said, and what the gift is, makes all the difference. Please allow me to simply print what I said to explain both of those.

Michael, at each stage of life - at each rite of passage - my desire is to give you (and your brothers) a special, symbolic gift that will not only remind you of this time and what you heard, but will also be useful for the next stage. So, I don't give this as a birthday gift, nor do I give this because we need more meat on the table. These men and I give this gift, and it's accessories, to you as a symbol of you learning to become a man of God.

[Give him the rifle with the gifts so that those who couldn't give don't feel singled out.]

This rifle, and its accessories, is a symbol to help you remember this evening. In addition, it's symbolic of the process you will be going through. For example, obviously, through hunting, you can provide for your family. Similarly, part of learning to be a Man of God, learning how to provide for yourself and your family through hard work. Hunting is also a time where you can rejuvenate yourself through time spent alone in the woods. Similarly, part of learning to be a Man of God is learning to take that time away in order to allow God to refill your soul. You must care for this valuable tool, or all its value will be lost, and it won't be usable when you need it. Similarly, you not only need to learn how to care for valuable things, but you also need to learn to care for the souls of people, and your own soul, things that are valuable beyond measure, not so you can use them, but simply because they are valuable.

There is a ton more symbolism here, and I'll keep coming back to this moment as you are growing and learning over the next 4-5 years. However, I think you get the idea. Allow God to show you things as you grow.

In some ways, son, you are already of man of God. However, over the next 4-5 years, as you will see, you will be becoming an adult Man of God. Your world view, knowledge, and relationship with God will grow and become what He's created you to be. This is simply a place you can look back on and say, "It was on July 3, 2011 that I crossed a line and stepped into a new time in my life." Like Paul says in 1 Cor. 13:11, "When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways." You are no longer a child. You are in that stage of giving up childish ways, on your way to becoming the Man God created you to be. We as men welcome you to this new stage in your life, and look forward to seeing how God transforms you into that adult Man of God.


Two days later, we went and tested Michael's new tool/toy/symbolically important gift. After the first shot he was hooked. Hunter's Safety classes start Aug. 1.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home