Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Saturday, March 27, 2010

More highlights from the UG Conference

Yesterday I talked about the UG Conference Michael, Shari, and I attended. Here's some more about that conference weekend.

In the 1980's, Greg English believed that God had given him a vision. Greg was my youth pastor at Puyallup First Assembly of God, and we had just finished a brand new church, with a balcony that seated 500. Greg's vision was to see that balcony full of youth.

To my knowledge, Greg never saw that vision fulfilled. Definitely not as the youth pastor. He left there soon after we did, and the group never got over 100. The church eventually folded, unfortunately, and Puyallup Foursquare bought the building. Today, Puyallup Foursquare is an amazing, vibrant, and healthy church, and that building is way to small for the people that attend.

Last weekend, Shari and I got to attend the UG Conference at the church where I was discipled and learned so much about walking with God thanks to Greg and Vicki English. It was wonderful to go back. Another highlight for me was not only coming back, but seeing Greg's vision fulfilled. There were not five hundred, but close to 1000 youth in that building, plus youth leaders and conference staff. It was packed. I praise God that His vision for that place is continuing to be fulfilled, and even more than Greg imagined. God does what He promises, though He doesn't seem to do it like we think He will, or when we think He should.

There was some great teachers there, and Shari and I got something out of each of them. However, I think our favorite two sessions were the breakout sessions with Banning Liebscher and Doug Lasit. Banning talked about "Pressure Free Ministry." His key verse was John 3:6:
"
Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life."
A couple key thoughts I wrote in my journal:
"The real test is after God has blessed the ministry, and we can do it ourselves."
"If I open the door, the pressure's on me to keep it open. When He opens the door, the pressure's on Him."
"I didn't choose to be in youth ministry or leadership - He did! Therefore, He not only thinks I have what it takes, but what I don't have, He'll create in me." (See the story of Peter walking on water.)

Doug Lasit talked about being a hero to our teens. His key verses were Hebrews 11:1 and 12:1, stating that all the verses in between were simply examples of how these two verses were connected and true. A couple key things I came away with from this session were:
"My three years in Lolo weren't a waste because it wasn't about me."
"No young person should ever walk into an empty stadium. Even if nobody else is there to cheer for them, we should be. That doesn't mean we don't correct, but that we do so as their cheerleader, not just as a law-keeper."

Shari and I came away from that conference encouraged and refreshed, and so thankful that God provided miraculously for us to go. The day before we left, a check came in the mail for $180. Our friends didn't know we needed the money. We didn't know we needed it until only a few days before we left. But God prompted them to give, He provided, and He continues to provide. He is amazing.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home