A thought from Sunday's sermon
Last Sunday pastor spoke on the book of Ruth. It was a great message. Like many messages, God used a slightly unrelated comment from Pastor Sal to speak to my heart.
Since it was Valentine's Day, it was obviously appropriate for Pastor Sal to talk about true love, and that obviously led him to quote something from 1 Cor. 13.
The key phrase God spoke to my heart was, "It is not irritable..." The NIV says, "It is not easily angered..." Yesterday I blogged about "Grace Based Parenting." Sunday God reminded me that part of parenting with grace and love is not being easily angered. As I think about how I put my boys to bed - or, more specifically, while they're trying to go to sleep - I realize that I have a lot of room for improvement in this area. Not that I shouldn't enforce some rules in this arena (I know I'm not the only parent who has to deal with kids getting up a dozen times for just as many excuses to see what mom and dad are doing), but that I should do so with grace, not in anger, or - worse yet - unforgiveness.
So, this week I am asking God to help me to live by the Spirit and love my kids well, helping them develop the discipline of going to sleep w/o crushing their hearts with anger or selfish irritability (which is where the anger really comes from). Because real love is not easily angered, I don't want to become easily angered with my kids.
Since it was Valentine's Day, it was obviously appropriate for Pastor Sal to talk about true love, and that obviously led him to quote something from 1 Cor. 13.
"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." (vs. 4-7, NLT)
The key phrase God spoke to my heart was, "It is not irritable..." The NIV says, "It is not easily angered..." Yesterday I blogged about "Grace Based Parenting." Sunday God reminded me that part of parenting with grace and love is not being easily angered. As I think about how I put my boys to bed - or, more specifically, while they're trying to go to sleep - I realize that I have a lot of room for improvement in this area. Not that I shouldn't enforce some rules in this arena (I know I'm not the only parent who has to deal with kids getting up a dozen times for just as many excuses to see what mom and dad are doing), but that I should do so with grace, not in anger, or - worse yet - unforgiveness.
So, this week I am asking God to help me to live by the Spirit and love my kids well, helping them develop the discipline of going to sleep w/o crushing their hearts with anger or selfish irritability (which is where the anger really comes from). Because real love is not easily angered, I don't want to become easily angered with my kids.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home