It's just what!?
(I originally created this last fall sometime. I have no recollection when, but you can probably go to IMDB.com and find the episode list for "Lie to Me." It's a great show, and I'm bummed that they've replaced it with "24"... though I'm sure I'm one of the few. Anyway, I'm not sure this is my best writing on the subject, but I decided to go ahead and post it and see what kind of response I get, if any.)
I was watching "Lie to Me" off and on last Sunday with my wife and mother. I can't even tell you the plot to either story, I was more 'off' than 'on' watching it. The episode's called, "Truth or Consequences." However, during one of my 'ons,' I saw something that struck me strongly. The scene showed tremendously a picture of the gap in moral understanding and belief between Busters and Gen Y, or even between older Gen X and Gen Y. I'm not sure I can do it justice, as it's now been a few days since I watched it (should have posted that night, but was too tired after the show), but here's the main idea.
The main character - Dr. Lightman - the father of an 18 year old daughter (old enough to be adult, still in high school, so still his "baby"), is interviewing some senior girls at his daughter's school. He's investigating a statutory rape at a frat party. These girls are explaining to him how they've made a pact to not only each have sex before they graduate, but to only have sex with college guys because high school guys are so boring (I think that was the word they used). They explain all of this, as well as why they invited/twisted the arm of a good friend to join them in the pact, and why she turned out so lame. After all, she freaked out about actually having sex with this college guy and filming it. Then she forgot the phone/video camera. Towards the end of the conversation, Dr. Lightman, whose daughter may have been involved in this pact, looks at these girls and asks with incredulity, "You don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, do you?" They answer him with a rolling of the eyes, "Why, it's just sex."
What I liked about this scene was that it clearly and accurate portrays two things: How so many teenagers view sex because that's how it's been taught and communicated in all of our media, and by many teachers, and how so many adults don't understand that's how they view sex, or why.
Sex is definitely something special and wonderful, not to mention fun and an activity that binds a man and woman together. For these reasons, and more, God created it to be between a man and woman for life. However, our culture continues to try and cheapen it in the name of freedom and making sure kids understand what sex is and get their questions answered. In addition, our culture cheapens it because we want to do anything we want to w/o consequences (like guilt or broken relationships or diseases). I do want my boys to understand sex, and feel free to ask me anything about sex that I haven't told them. But I want them to understand it in the context of loving a woman well - with respect, and forever. I want them to cherish it, and understand how and why God created it. I want others to understand it well, too. So I'll continue to endeavor to communicate God's truth to teens in a loving and gracious way.
I was watching "Lie to Me" off and on last Sunday with my wife and mother. I can't even tell you the plot to either story, I was more 'off' than 'on' watching it. The episode's called, "Truth or Consequences." However, during one of my 'ons,' I saw something that struck me strongly. The scene showed tremendously a picture of the gap in moral understanding and belief between Busters and Gen Y, or even between older Gen X and Gen Y. I'm not sure I can do it justice, as it's now been a few days since I watched it (should have posted that night, but was too tired after the show), but here's the main idea.
The main character - Dr. Lightman - the father of an 18 year old daughter (old enough to be adult, still in high school, so still his "baby"), is interviewing some senior girls at his daughter's school. He's investigating a statutory rape at a frat party. These girls are explaining to him how they've made a pact to not only each have sex before they graduate, but to only have sex with college guys because high school guys are so boring (I think that was the word they used). They explain all of this, as well as why they invited/twisted the arm of a good friend to join them in the pact, and why she turned out so lame. After all, she freaked out about actually having sex with this college guy and filming it. Then she forgot the phone/video camera. Towards the end of the conversation, Dr. Lightman, whose daughter may have been involved in this pact, looks at these girls and asks with incredulity, "You don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, do you?" They answer him with a rolling of the eyes, "Why, it's just sex."
What I liked about this scene was that it clearly and accurate portrays two things: How so many teenagers view sex because that's how it's been taught and communicated in all of our media, and by many teachers, and how so many adults don't understand that's how they view sex, or why.
Sex is definitely something special and wonderful, not to mention fun and an activity that binds a man and woman together. For these reasons, and more, God created it to be between a man and woman for life. However, our culture continues to try and cheapen it in the name of freedom and making sure kids understand what sex is and get their questions answered. In addition, our culture cheapens it because we want to do anything we want to w/o consequences (like guilt or broken relationships or diseases). I do want my boys to understand sex, and feel free to ask me anything about sex that I haven't told them. But I want them to understand it in the context of loving a woman well - with respect, and forever. I want them to cherish it, and understand how and why God created it. I want others to understand it well, too. So I'll continue to endeavor to communicate God's truth to teens in a loving and gracious way.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home