Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Loeffler Baseball

Friday night Shari got to watch Michael play a baseball game. He didn't get to play much, but what he did he made count. Shari said he hit a double into the outfield, and it was a beauty. Michael's struggling right now because he's spending more time on the bench and in the outfield than he's done since he started baseball. In fact, he's probably played more innings in the outfield this year than in all his other years combined... except maybe t-ball. I feel for him, but I trust the coach's judgment, and have encouraged him to do the same. Shari did come up with a good idea. She encouraged him to ask the coach what it would take to get more playing time in the infield. I suspect it's going to take more practices, which the coach is scheduling on Sundays. This is not a good thing, and I'm going to ask God to change the coach's heart about this. We shall see. Michael's team lost last night, and they haven't been doing well overall because they're a young team that the coach chose purposefully so he could work with them this year in order to build them into a better team next year.

This morning we rushed around and got out of here so that we could make it to Mark's 10:00 game. Mark got to play the whole game today. The coach has the players on a rotation so that there's no temptation to play only the good players the whole game, which is great. So Mark played left field the whole game, and did an excellent job of backing up third base. He's struggling to catch and hit, and I'm afraid it's his eyes. I was watching him a few days back just throw the ball into the air and catch it, and he consistently missed the ball by just a little bit. Today he missed a few grounders that should have been fairly easy, even with his skill level. He got up three times today, which was great. He struck out twice swinging, and he walked once. He was so excited when he got to steal 2nd and 3rd, it was great to see that smile on his face. His coach is tremendously encouraging and gentle with Mark, which is a blessing. After the game he really piled it on Mark about how he played left field so well. Mark's team won by one point in the last inning. It was a good game.

It's been a good weekend of baseball with my boys. I'm glad I got to go to at least one game.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home