Fasting and Prayer
I have been missing my monthly times away to just be with God. So I finally set aside yesterday to spend four hours with God. In addition, I opted to fast in order to hear God's voice regarding the next place we're supposed to go. God spoke some great things to me, from encouragement regarding my relationship with Him to a specific word to give the high schoolers for my final message to them tomorrow night. It was an amazing time of worship and prayer, and I came away much refreshed.
Fasting is a tremendous tool God's given us. I don't fully understand the hows and whys, but I know that it's powerful. What my flesh doesn't like is that it's hard. What my heart doesn't like is why it's hard. It's amazing just how addicted to food I truly am. There are people all over the world who don't eat as much food in a week as I eat in a day, yet I struggle in my heart to not eat for just 24 hours. I came to the end of the day yesterday, and was praising God for the time, yet I also saw my selfishness, and was frustrated by it. Not only that, but I'm frustrated knowing just how difficult it is for God to lead me down that road for anything longer than a day. I want to be ready to fast as He leads for however long it is - 1-40 days. I want to practice what scripture says is true, that I'm no longer a slave to my flesh, but instead a bond servant to God and His heart.
God, please continue to mold me into your image, including transforming my heart into one that is led by your Spirit and not my flesh and selfish desires.
Fasting is a tremendous tool God's given us. I don't fully understand the hows and whys, but I know that it's powerful. What my flesh doesn't like is that it's hard. What my heart doesn't like is why it's hard. It's amazing just how addicted to food I truly am. There are people all over the world who don't eat as much food in a week as I eat in a day, yet I struggle in my heart to not eat for just 24 hours. I came to the end of the day yesterday, and was praising God for the time, yet I also saw my selfishness, and was frustrated by it. Not only that, but I'm frustrated knowing just how difficult it is for God to lead me down that road for anything longer than a day. I want to be ready to fast as He leads for however long it is - 1-40 days. I want to practice what scripture says is true, that I'm no longer a slave to my flesh, but instead a bond servant to God and His heart.
God, please continue to mold me into your image, including transforming my heart into one that is led by your Spirit and not my flesh and selfish desires.
Labels: Personal
1 Comments:
Hi Paul,
My name is also Paul. I would like to share with you a work I recently did on Neoplatonism. Please visit this blog and read the essay. If you have time, I would like to see your feeback.
http://noheresy.wordpress.com/
Thanks,
Paul Dan
By
Anonymous, at 10:44 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home