Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Values, Pt. 2

A few months ago, Shari and I sat down over a dinner out and talked about what we really value in a church situation. With God calling us to another church, yet not knowing what church we're going to, these values - which we believe are values God has laid on our hearts for both us and the kids we want to serve - will help guide us in where God's leading us to in the next chapter of our family's life. I thought I'd share them in three parts: Church Culture, Leadership Culture, and Youth Ministry Culture.

When I talk about the Leadership Culture of a church, I'm referring to the culture within the group of people who lead the church. That would include pastors, elders, and deacons. That would probably not include each ministry leader, or the volunteer staff for each ministry team. As part of the leadership of the church, these are values that Shari and I would like to see amongst those leading the church. Again, these aren't all non-negotiables, but more probably are than aren't. We've gained these from reading scripture, as well as from watching how church leadership functions. We've seen leadership that works well, and some that doesn't work so well, and these are things that we believe are signs of healthy relationships amongst the staff (very important), and signs of leadership that is hearing from God and leading the church towards a closer walk with Him.

1) A Team Culture amongst the staff. This includes…
a. Regular prayer times together
b. Regular play times together
c. Regular times to dream, plan, and renew vision together
d. Mutual accountability
e. Trust
i. If you say God’s leading you that way, I’ll back you
ii. I’ve got your back – I won’t let anybody attack you verbally, nor do it myself behind you.
iii. I need to know my heart is safe amongst the staff
iv. We can struggle with temptation together
v. If we fail in any of these things, we will keep short accounts – offering and asking for forgiveness quickly.
f. Open and respecting dialogue about new ideas regarding how to minister – programs, philosophies, etc. – without being afraid to come to the end and decide we may or may not agree with the new idea.
g. Yet recognizing the leadership of the team leader (Senior pastor of the staff, ministry leader of a particular ministry, etc.)
2) A Pastor who is a strong, but gracious leader
a. Unafraid to speak truth, even if it means somebody gets offended and leaves
b. Understands and practices grace and tact in an effort to love everybody
c. Is comfortable with, or even encourages, people to attend other churches if they don’t fit with the one he’s pastoring
d. Sees the best in people, while being realistic
e. Ready to discipline and offer grace equally
3) Spiritual development is valued
a. The senior pastor takes time away, and makes a way for his other staff to do the same.
b. Elders/pastors get away together for spiritual renewal
4) The Pastor is the leader of the church
a. While he is one of several elders, he is seen as the head elder
i. Not a CEO, who calls all the shots
ii. Not simply the one who does the counseling and preaching, marrying and burying.
b. Along with a team of elders, prayerfully seeks God for the vision and direction of the church, yet is the ultimate one responsible for hearing from God regarding those things
5) Leadership (another elder, senior pastor, as applicable) who pursue me to make sure I’m cared for – body, mind, heart, and spirit
6) The leadership (elders) have similar theology amongst themselves, but also values diversity, willing to disagree lovingly about non-essentials, with humility realizing there are gray areas, and areas we are still learning what God’s truth is.
7) The pastor’s family is his first priority of ministry, and people make sure he’s caring for them, and give him what he needs to care for them.
8) Longevity as a pastor with the church at every level is encouraged.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home