Touching Base
We're heading in the weekend, I'm getting ready for tonight's youth meeting, and I wasn't able to post yesterday, so here are some random thoughts, happenings, and such.
In 14 years of youth ministry, I don't remember one student have an appendicitis attack. In the last year I've had two students. Last night Billy went in to the hospital. He had just returned from a short road trip with his family the day before, so everybody's thankful it happened when it did. He's doing well, but he's expected to be in there for a few days due to some complications during the surgery. I bring it up because I was able to go and visit him this afternoon after getting a text from his sister. I hadn't seen him for a while, so it felt good to have some face time, even if he was in pain and exhausted.
Last night was Berean Club, our weekly jr. high meeting. After some play time, worship, and prayer, I brought the girls (yes, still all girls) in for a discussion about the last few weeks. What have they received so far from the first chapter and 1/3 of Ephesians. The number one answer (when I was finally able to get them to be serious and open up): God's love for them unconditionally is amazing. One young lady - I'll call her Barb - was especially impacted by that news. She doesn't have a relationship with God, and is still trying to decide if she even wants one. It was a great night of affirming them, but I had to kick myself afterwards (I'm my own worst critic of these things) because I didn't just affirm them, but started teaching again. Rats! Still, it's exciting to know that they are grasping something like that. So, the next step will be to help them take that understanding and learn what it looks like to turn their beliefs into a daily walk in daily life.
This weekend we're heading into the Jr. High Fall Retreat. It's looking like a great time, with a fantastic speaker from Frenchtown, and a great team of staff. We'll have 10 kids taking part, and I'm looking forward to watching God do some wonderful things. Please pray for us, especially as Nathan and I spend time with the one young man who's coming.
Shari spent the past few days, as well as days last week, canning and freezing. The primary product: applesauce, with many of the apples from our own tree. God blessed us with enough apples, between our tree and some wonderful people in the church, for 61 quarts of applesauce. That's almost 10 more than last year. In addition, we were given plums, and Shari picked at least 6 batches worth of grapes. Each batch, when liquified down, will make about 4-5 pints of grape jam. We're freezing most of it for now, as Shari doesn't have time to make and can the jam. However, don't be surprised if you get some jam for Christmas this year... or Thanksgiving... or just because.
I think that's about all for now. The boys are doing well. Shari's still sick, but had a good day yesterday and today. Your prayers are appreciated.
In 14 years of youth ministry, I don't remember one student have an appendicitis attack. In the last year I've had two students. Last night Billy went in to the hospital. He had just returned from a short road trip with his family the day before, so everybody's thankful it happened when it did. He's doing well, but he's expected to be in there for a few days due to some complications during the surgery. I bring it up because I was able to go and visit him this afternoon after getting a text from his sister. I hadn't seen him for a while, so it felt good to have some face time, even if he was in pain and exhausted.
Last night was Berean Club, our weekly jr. high meeting. After some play time, worship, and prayer, I brought the girls (yes, still all girls) in for a discussion about the last few weeks. What have they received so far from the first chapter and 1/3 of Ephesians. The number one answer (when I was finally able to get them to be serious and open up): God's love for them unconditionally is amazing. One young lady - I'll call her Barb - was especially impacted by that news. She doesn't have a relationship with God, and is still trying to decide if she even wants one. It was a great night of affirming them, but I had to kick myself afterwards (I'm my own worst critic of these things) because I didn't just affirm them, but started teaching again. Rats! Still, it's exciting to know that they are grasping something like that. So, the next step will be to help them take that understanding and learn what it looks like to turn their beliefs into a daily walk in daily life.
This weekend we're heading into the Jr. High Fall Retreat. It's looking like a great time, with a fantastic speaker from Frenchtown, and a great team of staff. We'll have 10 kids taking part, and I'm looking forward to watching God do some wonderful things. Please pray for us, especially as Nathan and I spend time with the one young man who's coming.
Shari spent the past few days, as well as days last week, canning and freezing. The primary product: applesauce, with many of the apples from our own tree. God blessed us with enough apples, between our tree and some wonderful people in the church, for 61 quarts of applesauce. That's almost 10 more than last year. In addition, we were given plums, and Shari picked at least 6 batches worth of grapes. Each batch, when liquified down, will make about 4-5 pints of grape jam. We're freezing most of it for now, as Shari doesn't have time to make and can the jam. However, don't be surprised if you get some jam for Christmas this year... or Thanksgiving... or just because.
I think that's about all for now. The boys are doing well. Shari's still sick, but had a good day yesterday and today. Your prayers are appreciated.
Labels: Family, Friendship, Intercession Requests, Praises, Youth Ministry
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home