Iron Man Movie
Last night I had a rare "Guy Night" where I actually went with some guys and we watched a thoroughly "guy" movie: Iron Man. I had been told it was a fantastic movie, and the reviews I had read really gave it some high marks. So I think I went in to it with some pretty high expectations.
There was one scene in the first five minutes that showed the beginnings of a one-night stand for the main character, which really bugged me, even if it was put in there for a good reason (to show the contrast between the main character's life before and after his experiences in Afghanistan). While there wasn't any body shown that I don't see at the local high school (unfortunately), it certainly wasn't what I (or the guys with me) needed going into our minds.
So, if I could skip the first five minutes and just get the story line before hand, I think I would like the movie. Overall, it was a good movie after that. There were fantastic fight and flight sequences, some amazing cars, and some good comedy. Best of all, the story did a great job of showing themes of redemption, living for what's important, and leaving a legacy that matters. I can certainly see why those who saw it in the theaters (big screen, surround sound, etc.) enjoyed it tremendously. I can also see some possible uses to communicate Christ. It was a good flick, and I'm glad we got to watch it.
In the end, though, while I could recommend it with reservations, I don't think I'd buy it, or even watch it again unless somebody who hasn't seen it really wanted me to watch it with them. It just didn't get to me. In fact, I get more depth, discussion, and thought provoking stories from watching NCIS and Numb3rs than I did that movie. So, I went home and watched Friday's episode of Numb3rs with Shari. Still, the huckleberry-rhubarb pie the Davies served was worth watching the movie for.
4 Comments:
I can't imagine what you saw in the first five minutes of Iron Man that would be worse than what goes on in NCIS or Numbers. There are on-going sex outside marriage relationships, bedscenes, revealing clothes, and gruesome murders, rapes and pillaging. Hmmmm interesting.
By
Anonymous, at 6:14 PM
Expectations. I had been told there wasn't anything of that nature in there, so it bugged me more when there was.
In actuality, many of the scenes in those TV shows bug me, too, especially the ones that have absolutely nothing to do with the show (While I didn't like the scene, it at least had a purpose to show the redemptive nature of the character's changes). Thankfully, last season seemed to cut down significantly on them, and I haven't seen any this season. In fact, I don't think there were any in NCIS all last season.
The other question to wrestle with is whether scenes like that are appropriate in an effort to show sin for what it is. And, if a viewer struggles with lust or anger while watching a scene, where's the line for the creator and other viewers, for whom it isn't an issue... or is it a sin no matter what?
By
Pastor Paul, at 7:31 PM
Maybe a few nights of watching last seasons NCIS would be helpful. I would venture to guess that there were few if any that didn't show a little skin as the tamest of "sins" displayed or investigated. Though some of the issues would be about crimes, most would be for character developement. Therefore, they would all have to do with the shows story line. I will agree that NCIS is less offensive in this regard but Numbers' characters are living out lives that model values that have given us an STD epidemic.
Your last comment made me wonder if sin is relative to the emotional or physical effect it has on us at the moment or if it is sin and may affect us whether we acknowledge it at the time or not.
By
Anonymous, at 9:37 PM
I'm not sure I can argue intelligently about how much skin was shown on NCIS last season, as I only watched about half the season, and truly don't remember any. The season before that I quit watching after only about 2 shows.
Your other comments, though raise some interesting discussion points. The first question for me to ask me is whether I'm sinning by just watching any of those shows. Then, am I causing my brother or sister to sin by watching? Where is my freedom to watch something in private if I don't consider it sin, while still guarding my brother's heart. There are some movies that I don't think Christians should watch that they do, and some I watch that others say I shouldn't. Am I the weaker brother, or the wiser?
Regarding video and sin in general, what sins are okay to watch on the big screen, and which ones aren't? What's the determining factor? Then, as I stated (assuming for at least a moment that there are times when having sin on the screen is okay), I still ask the question of when is it okay to show a sin in order to make a point against the sin, and when isn't it?
Good questions, all, but probably not ones to discuss in this format. It's a weakness to blogging that I don't like much, this trying to have a discussion via comments, w/o body language, vocal tones, and over a longer period of time between answers (though that does allow for more thoughtful answers). Still, thank you for commenting on them rather than just chalking me up as some luke-warm Christian who is blowing off God's holiness. I will continue to consider these things in my life, as I do on a regular basis. May I never become so luke-warm that seeing sin doesn't bug me and make me ask these types of questions.
By
Pastor Paul, at 10:26 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home