Retro TV
As most know, we don't own a tv. However, all the major networks have been streaming many of their shows onto the internet as soon as the day after they're on regular tv. So, Shari and I have been able to keep up with Numb3rs, NCIS, and CSI:NY, developing a definite connection with these shows, especially Numb3rs.
So, since Shari's gone, and the regular season of shows is over, I've been surfing around the other networks to see what they have available. Imagine my delight when I discovered NBC has a ton of 80's tv shows. The last two weeks have found me not only enjoying A-Team and the original Battlestar Galactica (Does anybody besides me have a problem with Starbuck and Boomer being female on the new one, as well as how many of the "good guys" have turned out to be bad guys? I guess that's for another discussion about our culture's ideas of good, evil, and gray.), but also discovering where some of those actors are today. Dirk Benedict (Starbuck/The Face) is actually from Helena, MT, and still lives somewhere around here. Did you know that he wasn't the original "Face" on the A-Team. I watched the pilot episode, and it was actually a guy named Tim Dunigan, but the producers thought he looked too young to be a Vietnam vet, which was probably accurate. The lady who played Apollo's wife on Galactica was Jane Seymour, who was "Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman" among other parts she's played since then. I've been able to watch the pilots of both those shows, which has been cool to see where the characters started, or ended, in the case of Seymour.
Unfortunately, this has led to a little problem. I'm afraid I've been staying up a bit late watching tv. This is bad. This is a lack of discipline on my part. So, I'm afraid I'm going to have to put aside these wonderful shows for a while in order to get some rest and get things done that need done around here. Still, it's been fun, and I look forward to watching more after things get back to normal.
In closing, one positive to posting this is that now I've got an added accountability. Just knowing that I've actually admitted the problem and have said how I'm going to handle it will compel me to follow through. There's something about "confessing our sins one to another" that helps us to move on from those sins.
1 Comments:
I hadn't seen the new Battlestar, and after reading this, I'm grateful. Starbuck and Boomer are women? That's like adding a five o'clock shadow to the Mona Lisa.
By
Joel, at 10:36 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home