Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

More from May

Michael was a busy boy in May. On May 5 he finished his home school choir semester with a wonderful concert. However, that wasn't the best part (though it was amazing). The best part was that he was given a venue to perform his very first minuet, titled - aptly - "Michael's Minuet." He did a fantastic job! I am so tremendously proud of him for not only persevering (he's been trying to perform this for since last year), but also for continuing to work to make it better as a piece, and in his performance.

Michael's has also been busy with baseball. His team hasn't been doing to well on the w/l columns, but many of their games have been lost by one point in the last inning, making for some real nail biters. Michael has played well in just about every position in the infield. He's pitching well, with better control than most pitchers on the team. He's not a power pitcher, and his pitches are more rainbows than clothes lines, but he seems to rack up the K's anyway, so we keep giving him the ball. He loves it. He generally hits well, though his game last Saturday was a bit disappointing to him. He walked twice, grounded out, and struck out. Everybody's got a bad day at the plate on a regular basis, so he's learning perspective through this.

The past few months Mark has discovered two series of books, "Hank the Cow Dog" and "Redwall." We can't get his nose out of book, and - most of the time - I'm very thankful. A few weeks ago Shari told Mark to quit sitting around the house and reading. He needed to go outside and play, as it was a beautiful day. So he went outside and got on the swing set... and continued to read his latest Redwall book. Shari and I have nobody to blame but ourselves for creating this reading machine. I very clearly remember giving my parents the same grief, so we're praying for wisdom in helping Mark overcome his selective hearing when he's reading. He always seems to hear words like, "ice cream," but never words like, "sweep the floor." Somebody ought to do a study.

I think that's about all for now. I'll try and post more than once this month... or at least more than one day's worth. Enjoy June and all the summer brings.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • I have to agree... that would be a very interesting study!!! I'm sure the words 'ice cream' hit more "must respond" cells in everyone's body! ...lol.

    By Blogger Hope, at 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home