We're not a Christian Nation
Based on this article, that might still be an overstatement statistically, but I think only the most optimistic Christian could say it isn't true experientially.
I meant to discuss this last week when it came out. By now, most of those reading this have probably moved on to Barna's latest information. However, whichever article or poll you read, it's still concerning. Combining this information with the book, "UnChristian," it should raise the alarm for Christians. However, my biggest concern is that it raises the right alarm.
The alarm that concerns me isn't the slow eroding of Christian morals in America. While that's sad, I still find that to be rather Biblical, or at least not surprising, considering who we as a nation allow to lead us. I'm also not concerned about the slow movement away from attending church. That's sad, and there are many outcomes as a result of that that will hurt people, but attending church doesn't equal salvation, or (to make sure the reader understands that I'm talking about more than saying a prayer) a vibrant, life-changing relationship with God through Jesus. Finally, the alarm that may sound in some heads and hearts may be the idea that people are going to hell. Well, that's certainly important to me, and it's sounding loud in my ears, too. However, the biggest alarm is a part of the reason I think we're seeing people leave the church, their faith, and their relationship with God - Christians are struggling to live out their faith themselves. We're struggling because we've succumbed to our own selfish flesh in a variety of ways. I won't use this blog to beat up Christ's bride, if for no other reason than I have to look at my own life and realize that I'm struggling to understand what it means to set an example for my boys in stepping out in faith, trusting God, loving the least of these, and loving and praying for those who hurt me (especially Christian brothers). Instead, I want to begin with me to ask God to turn around my life, that people would truly see Christ in me, not just because I'm a good person, or because I'm a pastor, but because my life is so counter-cultural that they sit up and question why and how.
Currently I'm reading Tim Hansel's book, "What Kids Need Most In A Dad." I'll talk more about it later, but if I told you this is the fourth or fifth time I've read it since Michael was born, would that communicate the impact it continues to have on my fathering... or, at least I try and allow God to use it. Here's a quote from Tim that he wrote long before John Eldridge wrote and equally excellent book for men (all men, not just dads) called, "Wild At Heart."
I want my family - not just my boys, but all six of us - to discover the adventure of living for Christ together. I've already discovered that this can be painful, difficult, and lead to a lack of comfort. However, when I look at these things as opportunities for God to move; when I start looking for the miraculous; when I start caring and praying for those who wound me (and forgiving!) instead of being defensive and lashing out; most of all, when I spend time with the God who's leading this adventure and is my strength and strong tower in trouble and hardship - when I do those things, I discover that the adventure becomes worth it. It's not any less difficult
- in fact, it can be more so - but it's significantly more fulfilling and life giving, and it speaks tremendously more of Christ's work in me. That's what I want my boys to see. I don't want them to see a whiny dad who throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way, but a dad who runs to God when life gets hard, and finds healing in forgiveness when he's hurt.
I'm not there yet... and I'm not sure how this post was transformed into something on living the adventure of Christ from my original intention, which was really just to point you to other fantastic articles on the latest research and trends away from Christ and Christianity. But, this is what it's become, and I am continually moving towards the life God's calling me to. Sometimes I'm moving forward, then backwards, then forward again, but there is progress. Come join me on the journey of authentically walking with Jesus.
PS So as to finish my thought, here are some other articles from people who have commented on this research.
MarkO's Blog - Actually, he does a great job here of making a list of others who have commented.
Backyard Missionary - on Barna's research
Church Marketing Sucks - Whether you agree with the term "church marketing" or not, this is a quick read about their take on the research.
Updated 3/7/08 - I knew there was one more I wanted to put on here:
Jonathan's Source for Youth Ministry Blog
I meant to discuss this last week when it came out. By now, most of those reading this have probably moved on to Barna's latest information. However, whichever article or poll you read, it's still concerning. Combining this information with the book, "UnChristian," it should raise the alarm for Christians. However, my biggest concern is that it raises the right alarm.
The alarm that concerns me isn't the slow eroding of Christian morals in America. While that's sad, I still find that to be rather Biblical, or at least not surprising, considering who we as a nation allow to lead us. I'm also not concerned about the slow movement away from attending church. That's sad, and there are many outcomes as a result of that that will hurt people, but attending church doesn't equal salvation, or (to make sure the reader understands that I'm talking about more than saying a prayer) a vibrant, life-changing relationship with God through Jesus. Finally, the alarm that may sound in some heads and hearts may be the idea that people are going to hell. Well, that's certainly important to me, and it's sounding loud in my ears, too. However, the biggest alarm is a part of the reason I think we're seeing people leave the church, their faith, and their relationship with God - Christians are struggling to live out their faith themselves. We're struggling because we've succumbed to our own selfish flesh in a variety of ways. I won't use this blog to beat up Christ's bride, if for no other reason than I have to look at my own life and realize that I'm struggling to understand what it means to set an example for my boys in stepping out in faith, trusting God, loving the least of these, and loving and praying for those who hurt me (especially Christian brothers). Instead, I want to begin with me to ask God to turn around my life, that people would truly see Christ in me, not just because I'm a good person, or because I'm a pastor, but because my life is so counter-cultural that they sit up and question why and how.
Currently I'm reading Tim Hansel's book, "What Kids Need Most In A Dad." I'll talk more about it later, but if I told you this is the fourth or fifth time I've read it since Michael was born, would that communicate the impact it continues to have on my fathering... or, at least I try and allow God to use it. Here's a quote from Tim that he wrote long before John Eldridge wrote and equally excellent book for men (all men, not just dads) called, "Wild At Heart."
"The increasing pace of life in our society demands so much of our time that we often fall into that subtle trap of just existing, just going through the motions with our families. Without realizing it, we choose to believe that life is boring. Without realizing it, our lives begin to fulfill our uninspired expectations. Our highly developed me4dia have convinced us to surround ourselves with things - material expressions of success. But again, the paradox is that these things tend to insulate us from the life that could be more adventurous. The padding, around our waists and our lives, gets a little thicker each year and our excitement for life slowly erodes.
Little do we realize how powerfully these attitudes affect our children. Our kids need large doses of adventure in order to change, discover, and grow. If they aren't sufficiently challenged by real-life adventures , they will seek and find other fictitious adventures of significantly less value." Pg. 80-81
I want my family - not just my boys, but all six of us - to discover the adventure of living for Christ together. I've already discovered that this can be painful, difficult, and lead to a lack of comfort. However, when I look at these things as opportunities for God to move; when I start looking for the miraculous; when I start caring and praying for those who wound me (and forgiving!) instead of being defensive and lashing out; most of all, when I spend time with the God who's leading this adventure and is my strength and strong tower in trouble and hardship - when I do those things, I discover that the adventure becomes worth it. It's not any less difficult
- in fact, it can be more so - but it's significantly more fulfilling and life giving, and it speaks tremendously more of Christ's work in me. That's what I want my boys to see. I don't want them to see a whiny dad who throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way, but a dad who runs to God when life gets hard, and finds healing in forgiveness when he's hurt.
I'm not there yet... and I'm not sure how this post was transformed into something on living the adventure of Christ from my original intention, which was really just to point you to other fantastic articles on the latest research and trends away from Christ and Christianity. But, this is what it's become, and I am continually moving towards the life God's calling me to. Sometimes I'm moving forward, then backwards, then forward again, but there is progress. Come join me on the journey of authentically walking with Jesus.
PS So as to finish my thought, here are some other articles from people who have commented on this research.
MarkO's Blog - Actually, he does a great job here of making a list of others who have commented.
Backyard Missionary - on Barna's research
Church Marketing Sucks - Whether you agree with the term "church marketing" or not, this is a quick read about their take on the research.
Updated 3/7/08 - I knew there was one more I wanted to put on here:
Jonathan's Source for Youth Ministry Blog
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home