Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Remembering Grandma again

I went to a funeral yesterday. It was amazing. This wonderful lady of our church - a true pillar of the church - died in a gracious and amazing way. As I listened to the memories and stories, I was reminded again of my own Grandma, who died last October. Mrs. Habets' family are good friends of ours here in the church. Her granddaughter was actually the former jr. high volunteer leader before we came. We stayed with her daughter when we were canditating. There are a host of memories relating to the family of Mrs. Habets. Still, as I sat there in the funeral, I had my own mourning, even as I was celebrating both her home-going, and Grandma's. I was surprised how raw my emotions still are, and what will bring those tears up. Last month, as I was listening to the radio on the internet, Mark Schultz' song, "Walking Her Home," came up. I'm sitting there flipping pancakes and trying not to cry while I listened and remembered. Then Shari came in. We looked at each other and just started bawling and holding each other. It was a hard morning. About a week later it came on again, and Shari turned it off. She hates to cry.

I have no idea why I share that, except that I wanted to remember Grandma again, and this was a good way to do it.

And I didn't cry... so far.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Hello Paul, I have been a silent reader of your blog since the funeral. I enjoy your thoughts, and thank you for sharing them. I just had to comment on this one though... I too still have strong emotions over the lose on grandma. I believe that my feelings are attributed to her ability to love, to love as Christ does. I believe that it is natural for us to long for this love, hence our desire to return to Him. I miss her, I fight the tears too... But I have also tried to follow her example and hold on to family as she did. I learned from her that while we are here, our time on earth, our families will be the most influenced by our love. God bless, Darin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home