Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Sleep Deprivation Matters

This is a phenomenal article in New York Magazine on how a lack of sleep, even fifteen minutes, matters in children of all ages. I started to write about my frustrations regarding this issue, but decided that it would be counter-productive to getting folks to read the article, and it wouldn't do my heart/spirit any good. When I get on my soapbox about this type of thing, I tend to get angry, and it's an anger that goes nowhere but inward, which is never healthy for our spirits. Instead, I will encourage you, the reader, to take the time to read the article (give yourself a good 20 minutes), and make changes in your parenting, teaching, or personal life appropriately (as much as it's in your power). I will also post this on the Lolo Community Church Youth Group's parenting page for other parents to read (I hope). A big thanks to Marko at YS for finding and posting this article. I might also add that other studies show that adults need more sleep, too, though not as much as teens, so you adult readers might be thinking about how you can get to sleep earlier and survive less on coffee. You know, like not watching MASH videos in bed, then working a Sudoku puzzle until after 11:30 while your wife's trying to sleep with your light on. Yeah - that was for me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home