Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Isn't there a big word for a self-centered philosophy?

Shari and I were talking last night about the balance between the fact that God does meet our deepest needs - relationally, emotionally, physically, spiritually, etc. - and that, even if He didn't, He is our Creator, and we need to surrender to, serve, and worship Him because He is who He is. In America, we have turned Christianity so much into being all about what God will do for us: You need to surrender to Jesus because He'll meet [input a very real need here]. And this is true - Jesus came to bring heaven to earth - God's Kingdom amongst us - and showed us God's heart for us and our hurts and needs. As you look at the big picture of all of Scripture, you see God constantly pursuing us, endeavoring to bring us into right relationship with Himself so that we can experience the wholeness that we lost at "The Fall." At the same time, all of creation is about Him, pointing to Him, and we were created to bring Him glory, not so that He could have little projects to make feel good. The "Westminster Shorter Catechism" communicates both of these things well at the very beginning: "Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

So, I've been wrestling with how to keep this balance healthy so that I don't help perpetuate a myth that it's all about God meeting our needs, or that God's just looking for a bunch of slaves to make Him feel good. I'm working on teaching the high schoolers about sharing their faith, and talking to the jr. highers about what it means to be a child of the King, including, but definitely not exclusive to, living our lives like a child should live. I haven't got all the answers, and I need to move on to more pressing issues for the week (four messages to prep between Wed. and Sunday), but I thought I'd share a little of my thoughts on this issue with those who read this. I'll take input, if you have the time to give it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home