Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Monday, September 17, 2007

Under Two Minutes

This is one of those things you might get as an internet chain letter. It may seem a little sappy to some (even to those involved), but, since it's important to me, I thought I'd share it.

We were in post-op, waiting for Shari to recover from gall bladder surgery enough to go home. I got a call on my cell phone from Cheryl. She was calling to see how Shari's operation went. Now, my goal in bringing this up is not to make others feel bad about not calling (too many calls would have driven us and the nurses nuts), or to embarrass Cheryl (I couldn't simply say "a friend" though). My goal is to encourage you to do something. That phone call lasted 1 minute, 46 seconds on my call timer on the phone. Yet, to Shari and I, we couldn't put a value on it. In that time, we felt loved, cared for, and valued. Sometimes we wait until we have 15, 30, or even 90 minutes, thinking that we need to set aside that much time to show somebody we love them. Then, when we can't find the time, it doesn't get done. So, take two minutes today to call somebody. Take two minutes to write a postcard instead of a letter. What about your spouse (I'm sure she'd appreciate either one, especially if you could do it on your break)? Your kids? Your mom or dad? A good friend? Take the time. We sure appreciated Cheryl's two minutes... and she respected our desire to simply be, too, after surgery. We have some great friends!

By the way - Shari's surgery went very well. Everything came out like it's supposed to, and she no longer has the sharp and intense pain that she had. She's got some recovery time, but we're excited about the future of feeling whole and energetic again, w/o the pain. Thanks to those who prayed.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home