Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Monday, September 03, 2007

Preparing for Fall

We returned from vacation on Aug. 12. The following weekend we had a Youth Staff Retreat. It was supposed to be at the famous "Beebe Cabin," but the Jocko Lakes fire (which impacted Seeley Lake, too, but you can't put down all the lakes, creeks, and mountains impacted by a fire, or the name would be too long for even bureaucrats to handle) shut down that whole area until the day before we were supposed to leave. So we improvised. One of the trustees of the church owns a beautiful home overlooking the Bitterroot Valley significantly more than our home does, and it's a lot bigger, too. He and his wife graciously allowed us to use their home while they were gone visiting their grandkids. I'm told that they enjoyed their kids' company, too, but all us kids know that, if it weren't for the grandkids, we'd only see our parents about half the time. That's okay - we love 'em, too... the kids. Well, yes, we love the parents/grandparents, too, but I'm talking about... oh, never mind.

So, we pulled up to their home Friday night and spent the first part of the evening exploring this beautiful place. We spent the rest of the evening praying, listening for God's direction, and talking about what we felt He was saying to us. It was a great time, and one I want to be open for again. Saturday, after a great breakfast of waffles (which I fixed with our free-be waffle iron that looks like garbage, but we picked up at the youth garage sale, and it works like a charm) - after breakfast, we hit the ground hard, reviewing the previous year, planning activities, and talking about how to make church stick. That last part was a discussion keyed off a talk given by Darren Whitehead at Willow Creek's Youth Leadership Summit 2006, which was the last big conference YD sent me to before I left (a blessing I am so thankful for) (see posts on that here, here, and here). We ended our time Saturday with some fantastic prayer and worship.

Sunday, after church, we spent the afternoon playing. We were supposed to go rock climbing at the Rock Garden. The sight says they're open from noon to 6:00 pm, but, at 1:00, they weren't open, so, once again, we improvised, and went to the bowling/mini-golf place we were taking the students the following Wed. It was a good thing for us to do that anyway, but I was really glad we did when I discovered how corny their putt-putt course was. Oh well, the bowling was fantastic, and the pool tables well worth the rental time. Overall, the weekend with the youth staff was a great time of bonding and planning, and we came away with some great ideas, hopes, and goals for the school year. Thanks to those who prayed with us for this weekend.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home