Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

While You Were Out... Pt. 3

Shari is on a kayak trip with YD Adventures, two volunteers, and five students from Lolo Community Church. While she's gone, I'll be posting our daily happenings so she can read all that happened while she was gone. I know I won't remember it all, and some will even be worth remembering.

Today was fairly innocuous. This morning Ben and I had cereal on the back porch. The other two slept in, since they were up so late last night. They eventually got up, and, while I was reading e-mails and writing notes, they eventually had breakfast. They did get all their chores done pretty quickly, which was great. We went into Missoula and did some shopping for office doors. It looks like Boyce Lumber will be the best bet. I found a glass door with a beautiful etching of a lake and cabin scene, but I don't think I can justify to the board spending $350 on an office door. I don't think I could justify it to myself if it was my own business, but it sure is beautiful. Ben did very well going potty, which is great, because I forgot the diaper bag.

After coming home for lunch, we left again to go clean out van 12. We picked up the mail and got your second card. Thank you so much for the cards. Not only have they been encouraging to the kids, but I've loved the reminder of your presence, even when you're gone. I love and miss you so much. Anyway, we picked up van 12, then went to DQ so they could be enjoying the ice cream while I was cleaning. I thought a sundae would be great because they come in bowls of sorts. I was wrong. Enter the event of the day. (Like I said, it's pretty innocuous, but it's the event.) I go to get change, and come back to start washing the van, and Ben's screaming. It seems he tried to eat his sundae like a cone, and it dumped out on him. He was completely traumatized by the event... but got over it when I was able to rescue most of the ice cream. His car seat and clothes were a strawberry mess, though, and I forgot the diaper bag again. On the way home Mark asked the question of the day: "How does brainwashing work?" I have no clue where he gets these questions, and told him I had no idea. We did find an article on it on HowStuffWorks.com, but that was around 10:00 at night, and they're supposed to be going to sleep.

We had a bit of a struggle with cleaning up tonight, but it eventually got done, and we had mac and cheese, hot dogs, beans, apples, and peanut butter (for me, because there weren't enough hot dogs) for dinner. Momtogirls5 posted on your request for summer cooking ideas. She suggested chicken tacos, cooking the chicken in the crockpot. I thought I'd try it, but e-mailed her for clarification. If she doesn't write back by tomorrow morning, I'll call mom. Mom called the morning to see how we're doing. As if we'd be doing anything but well. We could be doing good, but that would be poor English. So, during and after dinner, Mark and Matthew and I had a good discussion about being distracted, and how we need to stay focused when we're told to do something. Like I'm one to give lessons on staying focused.

After dinner they went to bed w/o any problems, and I went to the next project. I borrowed some clippers from the neighbors, and went to work on our gate-plant-ivy-honeysuckle-looking thing on the south side of the house. It looks like I gave a hippy a buzz cut, but it's so much nicer, and now I can walk through there w/o crawling. It came down pretty easy, but the clippers need sharpened. More importantly, if we aren't going to take that plant down, and want to keep our chimney, we need to invest in clippers of our own. Owning a house is expensive, especially if you want it to look nice. In the process of asking for the clippers, Kim and I had a nice discussion about her daughter's operation (it went well), and food ideas. In the process, she gave us a couple of roasts. I guess her extended family owns a cattle ranch, so they're always getting free beef. That was a blessing I wasn't looking for.

So, the boys are still talking at 11:00 pm again. I've spent the last hour watching CSI:NY interviews, learning more about the actors. It's interesting, but I still like Numb3rs better. I guess that's all for today. It's been a good day, and I've accomplished a lot, but I miss you tremendously. We all continue to pray for you diligently. I look forward to hearing what God's doing in the girls.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home