A "New" Bike
You know you're getting old when you're idea of a date is to go shopping. It's even worse when it's fun (or could be) to go to Goodwill. That's what we did last Friday night. It was a fantastic dinner at Appleby's, but after that the company was what made it fun. Still, I came away with a few nice things, like some needed new clothes.
The find of the night came at Goodwill, though. The one in Moses Lake had a better selection of nice clothes, so I went with high hopes. After only finding a pair of shorts, I went to check out. While waiting I saw a 21 speed mountain bike. Not a real mountain bike, of course, with shocks and all the other fun accessories, but a basic mountain bike, with large tires and a "mt. bike" look. What I really noticed was two things, though: 1)a gel seat, and, 2)it was a bit taller, and therefore the seat sat back farther. Both of these issues were near and dear to my... well, not quite my heart, but, after riding for a few weeks, they were near and dear to lower locations on my anatomy. The gel seat alone, bought new, would be over $50. The bike was in fairly decent shape, so, at $60, with the extra hight, it looked like a good by. I went home to think about it.
I went back on Monday. Not only was it still there, but it had been there long enough to be marked at half price. So I purchased a "new" bike for $30. The bike shop behind Goodwill did a little free tweaking for me (including airing up the tires), and it rides wonderfully. Tuesday was its maiden voyage as my new exercise. Not only did I come home feeling much less sore in the posterior, but the brakes didn't squeal or pulse, and the gear ratio made the uphill climb much easier. Of course, the last two days I haven't been able to ride due to early morning meetings, but I'm looking forward to it tomorrow. Sometimes I think God just gives good gifts to people, and this is one of those times.
The find of the night came at Goodwill, though. The one in Moses Lake had a better selection of nice clothes, so I went with high hopes. After only finding a pair of shorts, I went to check out. While waiting I saw a 21 speed mountain bike. Not a real mountain bike, of course, with shocks and all the other fun accessories, but a basic mountain bike, with large tires and a "mt. bike" look. What I really noticed was two things, though: 1)a gel seat, and, 2)it was a bit taller, and therefore the seat sat back farther. Both of these issues were near and dear to my... well, not quite my heart, but, after riding for a few weeks, they were near and dear to lower locations on my anatomy. The gel seat alone, bought new, would be over $50. The bike was in fairly decent shape, so, at $60, with the extra hight, it looked like a good by. I went home to think about it.
I went back on Monday. Not only was it still there, but it had been there long enough to be marked at half price. So I purchased a "new" bike for $30. The bike shop behind Goodwill did a little free tweaking for me (including airing up the tires), and it rides wonderfully. Tuesday was its maiden voyage as my new exercise. Not only did I come home feeling much less sore in the posterior, but the brakes didn't squeal or pulse, and the gear ratio made the uphill climb much easier. Of course, the last two days I haven't been able to ride due to early morning meetings, but I'm looking forward to it tomorrow. Sometimes I think God just gives good gifts to people, and this is one of those times.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home