Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Friday, February 02, 2007

Gotta love double standards

Now, I don't know these officers' stance on abortion (the leadership, or the arresting officers), so I'm commenting strictly on the general statement this article makes about the values of our culture. I'm also not commenting on police officers in general. In fact, I have two siblings in law enforcement, and feel very strongly about protecting, encouraging, and respecting law enforcement. Again, this is strictly a comment on our culture's value of life, not how this situation is being handled, or whether the officers handled the arrest well or not.

If abortion isn't that big a deal - if it's not really a baby anyway, or a human being, (she was only three months along, after all), then what's the big deal. This should be no worse than if she was bleeding from a self-inflicted wound, and they didn't believe her or do anything about it (okay, that's an overstatement coming from a guy, but I'm going to keep it to make my point for the time being). Granted, the officers should still be disciplined (after all, it doesn't say she fought back or anything else physical), but it's not that big a deal... if abortionists are correct and it's just "her body - her choice." She bled a little, and they should have got her to the doctor sooner, but they did get her there, then everything was good. In fact, they did her a favor, as it got rid of that annoying thing inside her that was sapping her energy and other bodily resources. Let's get those good folks back out on the street to protect people and enforce the law.

However, if it really was a baby, and the officers really did treat her like the news is reporting, then the officers would be guilty of keeping a human being from getting the medical care he needed (not just she). They need an appropriate discipline for those crimes. Maybe that's why we see the leadership struggling to know what to do. They're not sure whether to admit a life was lost, or admit that the issue is whether the lady (the baby not being human, and therefore irrelevant) got the medical attention she needed in a timely matter. I doubt that's the reason, but it would be nice to know they're actually struggling with it.

Once again, we see that our culture, not just the abortion industry, has a double standard on whether a baby is a baby. When will we as a nation either admit that we're comfortable with murder, or stop doing it and value all life, not just the life that's convenient and "making a positive contribution to society."

Sheesh! I'm starting to sound like Joel. The thing is, I have always agreed with him, he's just always been better at finding these articles first. So, Joel, feel free to write this one up better than I. After all, you're the newspaper guy. This certainly isn't my best writing, and my reasoning isn't as clear as it is in my head, but I haven't had my morning shower yet.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Looks like you did a great job yourself. And I take the comparison as a really high compliment. :)

    By Blogger Joel, at 3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home