Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Unequally yoked, or opportunity?

Over the past week, as World Aids Day has come and gone, I have read many articles about Christians and non-Christians (religious or not) working together. Here are some relevant articles (My hyperlink button isn't working on blogger at the moment) (Update - Hyperlinks should be working now):

"AIDS Activism Makes Strange Bedfellows"

"Obama Discusses AIDS Epidemic With Evangelicals"

"Pastor Rick Warren Defends Invitation for Sen. Obama to Speak at Calif. Church"



Note: I am not commenting on whether we should help people with AIDS, or any other disease or cultural/societal problems (hunger, poverty, disease, etc.). These are more thoughts on who we should or shouldn't work with in doing so.

This is a difficult topic for me, as you can see by the title. On the one hand, are we creating an opportunity for the Gospel to be watered down and seen as irrelevant by partnering with these folks. Is it possible we will communicate to people that God is okay with the values these folks stand for.

On the other hand, are we communicating a message of grace and love to these folks. If, for instance, Rick Warren and the church can maintain holiness, while still communicating Christ's grace and love, both to Obama and people with AIDS, could that not help draw people to Christ.

Could this be where God is at work, or could we be lowering our standards in the name of reaching out, only to find that, when we search our hearts, we're really doing it because we don't want to be looked down upon, made fun of, or seen as completely "uncool." Did Jesus, Peter, Paul, or any other Godly men (Old or New Testament) work with those who didn't follow Christ. God certainly used ungodly nations to punish Israel, but I am of the opinion that was a different issue, as they really didn't work with the Godly (or the Godly didn't work with them, as the case may be). God does say that the wealth of the world will be given to His people. If Christians can work with those who stand for something totally different against a common foe, would it be worth it in order to gain their wealth to fight that common foe, as long as Christ was glorified? Can Christ be glorified if we're working together. I think He can be, but I'm at a loss to defend my belief. I guess, in the end, maybe we should leave that to each individual, and follow Christ as He tells us how to manage this situation in our own community. No matter what, the difficulty would certainly be in maintaining God's standards while also proclaiming grace... which is difficult enough simply living in the world. Finally, how could this play out in youth ministry? On the one hand, when I was in Moses Lake, I worked with SkillSource to reach out to broken and hurting students. On the other hand, I felt comfortable doing that because the primary teacher I worked with was a Christian. Thoughts.

PS This has nothing to do with the quote from "Fellowship of the Ring," as that quote was primarily referring to those who follow Christ against the common enemy of Satan. He's our common enemy, ultimately, according to Paul in Eph. 6, not the different organizations who may stand for his values.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home