Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Thursday, November 23, 2006

"I'm not dead yet." "I'm feeling better." ( Quoted with a British Accent)

It seems like those I know are being hit hard by disease. A good friend and mighty prayer warrior has head and throat cancer, and is battling it in Zion, IL, thousands of miles from WA and family. A student's dad has been sent home with cancer of the liver, and isn't expected to see next Christmas (2007). Another student's mom has a deblitating brain stem issue, that effects her ability to walk, among other things. So, I'm wondering if God is taking me on a journey of to increase my faith, and decrease my pride, until He can use me to pray healing on lives. If so, the journey just got even more personal.

I spent five years playing the piano on the worship team at Grace Harvest Church in Moses Lake, WA. During that time, as well as just because he and I got along well and he's a great guy, I got to know our associate pastor and worship leader, Larry Brice, and developed a great friendship with him. We could talk about just about anything - and did - whether we agreed or not, and it was actually fun. I enjoyed learning how to lead people into God's throne room in order to praise Him. I enjoyed praying with Larry, and wrestling with life issues. I enjoyed watching his daughter grow from a kindergartner to a pre-teen (maybe even a teen now). I enjoyed, and was encouraged by, watching him and his wife interact and love each other... even when they weren't happy with each other. He is my friend, and I miss him over here.

Yesterday we received the news: Larry has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer, and, based upon an e-mail I received today, it's spread to his liver, and maybe one lung. He's barely over 50, so it's not like he's an old man (my father not withstanding, 50's are looking younger and younger ;0). This is maddening; that is, it makes me mad, angry even! God, what must we do? I'm reminded of a previous post (here), where I talked about trusting Him, yet praying for healing.

So, I'm asking others to pray, and I'm going to be doing so myself. Being so far away, and with such a diagnosis, it's tempting to treat him as already dead. Hence the quotes in the title. If you haven't seen Monty Python's "Search for the Holy Grail"... um, I can't really recommend it, but it's got some great scenes and lines. You'll have to take my word for it. For those who have seen it, you fully understand the gallows humor. He's not dead yet, and we won't let him (or those others above) go without a fight.

May God provide healing for Larry... and the others that sickness, disease, and even Satan, are attacking. I know Larry would be praying the same thing.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • I'll be praying, and posted the request too.

    By Blogger Joel, at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home