Count Your Blessings
The dryer's broken. Our checkbook is looking pretty empty. Our microwave is dying a slow and painful death. (It's on. No, it's off. It's back on. It's off again.). I don't have an office. We still don't have insurance. Pastor Skip, I'm reminded of your words. These aren't problems, they'r
e opportunities.
"Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your blessings, see what God has done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your many blessings, see what God has done."
1) I have a garage full of studs and plate lumber that I haven't paid for, and my office is almost 3/4 framed in.
2) Shari's hives have all but disappeared, and the rest of us are healthy.
3) We were given a microwave today by some friends. We can keep it as long as we need to - months or beyond, if necessary.
4) Another family in the church allowed us to use their washer and dryer today in order to catch up on laundry.
5) That same family gave us not one, but two wild animals - a deer and antelope.
6) I learned how to skin and butcher a deer and antelope, adding to my other experience of butchering a pig. This was a great and new experience for me.
7) The boys got to see what the inside of a deer looks like (minus the innards, but that's okay). They also did get to see a deer heart and liver. That liver's huge.
8) Michael got to watch another Grizzly game on TV today. He's watched quite a few of them (besides his birthday game at the stadium), which is cool, considering we don't own a TV. They won, which isn't really a blessing, but it is icing on the cake.
9) Our stand-up freezer is literally quite full of meat, a vast majority of which we didn't purchase.
10) Shari and I had an argument last night. A blessing? Yes - it means we're still communicating well, even when it involves conflict. Despite what some may think, conflict, if done well and with an underlying sense of love for the other, is healthy, stimulating, and a sign of a good relationship.
11) I have a job, and I've had savings. While I may not have my feet under me yet, I am, in general, enjoying my job, the students I'm here to serve, and the people around us.
So, yes, we are blessed. Yes, there are several opportunities to see God work through, but He will, and we will give Him the Glory. Thank you, Pastor Skip, for your good reminder.
"Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your blessings, see what God has done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your many blessings, see what God has done."
1) I have a garage full of studs and plate lumber that I haven't paid for, and my office is almost 3/4 framed in.
2) Shari's hives have all but disappeared, and the rest of us are healthy.
3) We were given a microwave today by some friends. We can keep it as long as we need to - months or beyond, if necessary.
4) Another family in the church allowed us to use their washer and dryer today in order to catch up on laundry.
5) That same family gave us not one, but two wild animals - a deer and antelope.
6) I learned how to skin and butcher a deer and antelope, adding to my other experience of butchering a pig. This was a great and new experience for me.
7) The boys got to see what the inside of a deer looks like (minus the innards, but that's okay). They also did get to see a deer heart and liver. That liver's huge.
8) Michael got to watch another Grizzly game on TV today. He's watched quite a few of them (besides his birthday game at the stadium), which is cool, considering we don't own a TV. They won, which isn't really a blessing, but it is icing on the cake.
9) Our stand-up freezer is literally quite full of meat, a vast majority of which we didn't purchase.
10) Shari and I had an argument last night. A blessing? Yes - it means we're still communicating well, even when it involves conflict. Despite what some may think, conflict, if done well and with an underlying sense of love for the other, is healthy, stimulating, and a sign of a good relationship.
11) I have a job, and I've had savings. While I may not have my feet under me yet, I am, in general, enjoying my job, the students I'm here to serve, and the people around us.
So, yes, we are blessed. Yes, there are several opportunities to see God work through, but He will, and we will give Him the Glory. Thank you, Pastor Skip, for your good reminder.
1 Comments:
Paul, sounds like much has changed for you all and you're now engaged in a whole new adventure - deer carcasses and all. I appreciate your words of honesty and level of comfort wearing outrageous wigs. "Yeah...that guy's a youth pastor all right..." Keep up the good work brother!
By
Jimmy, Jennifer, Evelyn June and Arun Bradbury, at 8:03 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home