Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

God speaks through others


Last night we went to a Bible study with some friends. After praying for Shari's pox/rash-thing, a couple of friends encouraged us to go to the doctor. In fact, afterwards, Heidi called a nurse-practitioner friend of ours and all but made us an appointment. Of course, when you make a call like that to a friend like that in a town as small as Frenchtown, it's an appointment... to come in anytime, and we'll fit you in. There opinion, w/o looking at the rash, was that Shari had somehow drawn the unlucky straw, and had caught a parasite from a hot tub we had been in during the high school retreat. While this didn't fit all the facts, we were desperate, and it fit enough of them that we had hope. So, we (I!?) decided to trust God regarding the insurance and having a previous problem issue, and we went this morning. Lo, and behold, it was an allergic reaction to some medicine she had taken. Apparently, this type of reaction builds on itself, causing a worse and longer-lasting reaction every time you take the medicine again. So, while it wasn't the immediate healing I had been praying for, it is an even better answer to prayer, in my opinion. We now not only have a cure (a few days of steroid treatments, and don't take the medicine again), but we also have the reason it happened in the first place... which is also something I was praying for. Once again God has come through better than "I could ask or imagine." He is an amazing God who does things His way, and always for our best.

Yet, I continue to be challenged with the question of why God doesn't heal through us like He healed through Jesus. It's certainly happening in other countries. Here's a few stories of God raising people from the dead, one in America, and one in Africa. I'm not ready to say that it's a lack of faith, though sometimes it may be. It may also be a lack of time spent in prayer, praying through the demonic, or showing the persistence God wants to see. It may also simply be that, for some, God wants them to experience the sickness for whatever reason. (I know - this goes against some folks' theology that says God never wants us to be sick, but I think "never" may be too strong from what I see in scripture.) I will continue to wrestle with this issue, knowing that greater minds than mine have and are (my former Pastor Larry, for one), and God will make it clear if we continue to pursue Him.

In the meantime, I'm thankful that my wife is emotionally feeling better knowing what this is, and, in 1-2 days, will be phyiscally feeling better. Thank you, God, for patiently working for, with, and in spite of all we do. Thank you for speaking through others, and for giving us friends who will step towards us instead of just letting us fight it alone. You are an amazing and wonderful ("full of wonder") God who answers prayer and responds to our sacrifices and offerings of praise. (Thank you, too, that our offerings don't need to be in blood anymore.)

BTW - That picture has a link for free wallpaper downloads. It's a pretty cool place.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home