Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Thursday, September 14, 2006

We have Arrived!

Okay, maybe not in the way the statement implies (maybe?), but we are in Missoula, and adjusting to living in Montana. It's a strange feeling, knowing that "We're not in Washington anymore, Toto." We have moved in with some wonderful folks in the church. They have a huge basement, with everything we need except a kitchen. They have taken to heart the encouragement from the write of Hebrews and Jude (?) to entertain and care for strangers, missionaries, and the like. From the stories I'm hearing, I'm not sure they've had more than one month this year w/o somebody living with them. They are an amazing couple, and God has many treasures and rewards stored in heaven for them. Thanks, Skip and Mary!

As I said in my last post, we have put an offer in for a home in Lolo. The purchase is going well. We could close as early as the 20th, but probably will still close on the 25th. We did have some issues with the house. We tried to get the sellers to fix them, or provide us with some financial credits. At first, they balked at doing anything because they had already come down $2000 from a fantastic price. However, we thank God that they finally at least agreed to give us money for a hot water heater. So, we will be doing some minor and major repairs over the next 3-6 months in order to fix things like crossed wires in the bathrooms, siding issues, and a driveway that drains the water towards the house. However, we are so thankful for such a giving church that wants to help us, and doesn't do so out of obligation. And they do it for each other, too. It's so cool to watch the body of Christ in motion.

I'm wading in slowly to the youth ministry thing. I'm trying to get a feel for how things were, what changes I can make, and what expectations there are from the students. I am also wanting to make sure that I don't move to fast into committing myself to activities and such that will block me from making relationships with students and their families, as well as making sure my family is cared for.

One thing I am wrestling with is working with Jr. highers. It's not that I don't like them, or don't want to work with them. I'm simply having to adjust my brain to remembering to include them in the process after 11 years of high school only ministry. It's an adjustment I'm looking forward to as ideas come to mind of what we can do. I'm getting the impression that they've never done a jr. high retreat, which will be a blast.

I am currently sitting at a great internet cafe called "Liquid Planet." While they've got great coffee, and it's a fun atmosphere, I am looking for a more quiet office where I can get stuff done w/o feeling like there are a dozen projects around the house that I should be doing, or that my kids need my attention right at that moment... and the next... and the next... which is what they'd like me to believe, and sometimes I believe it myself. Please pray for wisdom regarding this issue. There are no offices in the church, so it's not like I'm the low guy on the totem pole. They simply didn't need offices when the church was built. The pastor worked out of his home because he was bi-vocational. The plans are in for a new office building, so we'll wait patiently. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for the right place. If only I could justify the money for coming to the coffee shop every day.

Hmmm... This is a little disjointed, but hopefully it gives the reader an update into our lives. Now, if only people would validate my existence by commenting :). I miss all you in Moses Lake. Please keep in touch. Leave a comment if you need our new Missoula/Lolo cell phone number.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Glad you're settling in... continued prayers.

    Can't type much, torn ligament in wrist... owie!

    Hug Shari for me...

    ~c

    By Blogger auntie-c, at 8:14 PM  

  • Here's my barbaric yawp, sounded to let you know somebody is still reading. I was beginning to wonder if you were going to give up blogging when you crossed the state line.

    By Blogger Joel, at 10:25 AM  

  • Thanks for the update. Our family really enjoyed our visit with you in Missoula.

    I'm excited about how your vocational change is going to glorify God. As you know, the church is His idea. He's building it. As you continue to allign your lives with His unfolding purposes, great things are bound to happen!

    Now kick some serious demonic butt!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:32 PM  

  • Dude...call me when you get this.

    1) I need your new digits.
    2) I have some news!

    jp

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:20 PM  

  • Paul and Shari,

    It was so good to read how this whole transition thing is going for you. Not having an office can actually be a blessing in disguise.

    When it comes to offices, they can often be a hindrance to ministry and a great excuse for NOT getting out into our world and engaging with the people in need of grace.

    We really miss you and your blessed family. As you probably already know, Jim and Deea are watching God fulfill a dream of theirs as well!

    The sense of loss is great, but the sense of mission even greater! I know that we have played a part in the formation of many people over the years who are now blessing the world outside ML with what they have learned here. PRAISE GOD! I guess God has ordained this as part of our mission to the world.

    We rejoice with you over the goodness of God on your behalf.

    In Jesus,
    Doug

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home