Converts or Disciples - Semi-Random Thoughts
This is more a post of some random thoughts about conversion vs. making disciples. I read a post today about missionaries seeing people come to Christ. It was exciting and passionate. Last night, I listened to a hilarious tape of Ken Davis, which ended with a Gospel presentation. As I was listening, I got excited, thinking that, while I couldn't use his stories, I could very easily use his points to communicate the Gospel clearly. I am nowhere near as funny as Ken Davis. Even my 4 year old was laughing. As I have been thinking about these things, I got to thinking about how I could share the Gospel here. Now, follow my track here. As I thought about this, I realized I would have a real hard time sharing the Gospel and seeing students turn to Christ. Afterall, right now I don't have any unsaved students in the youth group. That led to figuring out ways to reach out to students who don't know Jesus. Now I started to put some puzzle pieces together. I realized that I was stuck in my old mindset of it being my responsibility to reach the lost (at YD, there weren't too many Christian students around when your focus is unchurched, non-Christian kids). I need train/equip the Christian students to get fired up about sharing their faith. That took the wind out of my sails a little (or at least lowered the amount of wind there). Now comes my point (I think).
As I was thinking through all of this stuff last night and this morning, I realized that we, as a Christian, American culture, seem to be moving towards dangerous ground (or are we there already?). I don't want to take away from the excitement and passion of leading others to Christ. However, we as a Christian culture have made salvation the most important factor. Yet Christ didn't call us to make converts, He called us to make disciples. Yet, for those who "report" on what is happening in this ministry or that, it is much more difficult to show fruit when your ministry is focused on spiritual growth. I'm not saying it's impossible, or that ministries/churches aren't doing it, and doing it well. I'm just saying that my experience is that we as a culture, in general, get a lot more excited about people saying a prayer of salvation than we do about seeing people grow over the next five years. How many prayer letters have I even sent out with the focus on how many people are being led to Jesus, or are we praying for their salvation. As a side note, sometimes I wonder where all the Christians are who have supposedly been led to Christ, or said the "sinner's prayer." As I write this, I'm aware that Christ did make a point of saying that God is more excited about a finding a lost lamb than about the 99. However, if I can mix my stories, God also values the older son's commitment.
So, these are random thoughts that have this point - I want to make sure that I don't get so focused on finding kids who need Jesus (as important as that is, obviously) that I forget that God's called me, as a pastor, to go and make disciples, not just converts. I have 10-20 high schoolers who know Jesus, and I'm not sure how many jr. highers who want to learn how to walk with Jesus. That is exciting, and it will be exciting to watch as light bulbs pop on, and they see God use them to impact and care for people, or, of oh so much importance, lead a friend to Jesus and begin to make another disciple of Christ. My new role, as a pastor, includes equipping them to do all of that, and walk with Jesus, too.
As I was thinking through all of this stuff last night and this morning, I realized that we, as a Christian, American culture, seem to be moving towards dangerous ground (or are we there already?). I don't want to take away from the excitement and passion of leading others to Christ. However, we as a Christian culture have made salvation the most important factor. Yet Christ didn't call us to make converts, He called us to make disciples. Yet, for those who "report" on what is happening in this ministry or that, it is much more difficult to show fruit when your ministry is focused on spiritual growth. I'm not saying it's impossible, or that ministries/churches aren't doing it, and doing it well. I'm just saying that my experience is that we as a culture, in general, get a lot more excited about people saying a prayer of salvation than we do about seeing people grow over the next five years. How many prayer letters have I even sent out with the focus on how many people are being led to Jesus, or are we praying for their salvation. As a side note, sometimes I wonder where all the Christians are who have supposedly been led to Christ, or said the "sinner's prayer." As I write this, I'm aware that Christ did make a point of saying that God is more excited about a finding a lost lamb than about the 99. However, if I can mix my stories, God also values the older son's commitment.
So, these are random thoughts that have this point - I want to make sure that I don't get so focused on finding kids who need Jesus (as important as that is, obviously) that I forget that God's called me, as a pastor, to go and make disciples, not just converts. I have 10-20 high schoolers who know Jesus, and I'm not sure how many jr. highers who want to learn how to walk with Jesus. That is exciting, and it will be exciting to watch as light bulbs pop on, and they see God use them to impact and care for people, or, of oh so much importance, lead a friend to Jesus and begin to make another disciple of Christ. My new role, as a pastor, includes equipping them to do all of that, and walk with Jesus, too.
Labels: Personal, Theology, Youth Ministry
1 Comments:
Based on long-ago memories of being part of a youth group, I would say the problem is a layer deeper than you describe, as well. There seems to be a tendency to equate "discipleship" with missionary activity, with the effect that the youth feel like their Christian effectiveness is measured by how many other kids they bring into the fold. So even if the ministry isn't directly aimed at the unchurched, it becomes indirectly oriented that direction, with the added drawback that kids are going into adulthood kind of unprepared.
Does that make sense? :)
By
Joel, at 1:57 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home