Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Friday, August 04, 2006

Catching Up on my world Pt. 2

Today is Aug. 4. July 31 was my last day of working with Youth Dynamics. Well, it's the last day I got paid for. I spent almost two full days finishing prepping things for the fair. It feels good to have that project done. I wish I could have finished other projects, too, like the front sign. Most importantly, I wish they had a director to fill my position. I truly hurt for Dave and Jon, not having any significant leadership. Jon's trying to raise his support, and Dave's having to make decisions he didn't sign up for. It's painful to watch them and know that there's really nothing I can do about it. Even if YD hired somebody tomorrow, it would take them 3-6 months to get their support raised. What I have tried to do is pass on all the information I can about how to make decisions, and why we have done things the way we've done them. I've also encouraged Dave not to necessarily keep doing things that way, but feel free to try new things. Dave will do great in ministry to youth. I can only pray that the new regional director will help him with the management decisions.

I had my exit interview on the 31st. This was a time for me to share and put closure to my time with YD. Paul W., the West-Side Regional Director, did the interview, which I truly appreciated. YD has a policy that somebody besides one's direct boss does the interview so that the person leaving can feel competely free (or at least considerably more so) to share things about his or her boss. Of course, the main point is to allow the person to vent one more time, in a constructive way, in order to continue to learn how to make YD better. In this case... yes, I do believe that's what happened (you were wondering from those dots, weren't you). Paul W. came up with some great questions, and I was able to answer them on paper in advance, allowing me to answer them with thoughtfulness and prayer, as well as having a Christ-like attitude in giving some difficult answers. Questions included, "What are your memories about YD, the good, the bad, and the ugly?" I also got some opportunities to share suggestions on changes I would make. If you're interested, you can leave a comment, and I'll share them privately, but it wouldn't be appropriate for me to share those so publicly as this blog... except my favorite good: The friendships I've had with the staff, past and present, over the years. Bronco, Rusty, Sam, Mike, Nanette, Tina, and, of course, Paul Evans - all these folks and more have had a tremendous impact on my life, and I am so thankful to have run in their circles. Some I continue to pursue, while others have faded away, as some friendships do. Still, YD has a history of encouraging relationships between staff and staff, and all the families involved. I hope this, above all else, will continue.

So, I've been out of work for the past two days (if you count the two days of volunteer work I did Aug. 1 & 2). What have I done with myself. I've spent some time playing with my boys, shopping for a new watch (I lost my last one on our Mt. Biking Trip in June.), and keeping in touch with pastors I will be interviewing with this month. This weekend we will head up to Wenatchee to visit my grandma, who just had a new dialysis access put in her shoulder (as well as a temporary one put in her chest). Of course, we'll visit the rest of the family, too, including my parents, who will receive their wonderful crib back that we've been using the last eight years. They're saving it for my sister, who may or may not have children, depending on whether mom can talk her into it after she gets married... whenever that will be.

We visited Kristin and Jason and Krista last weekend. It's always great to see the family. Jason and Krista now own a beautiful home in Bonney Lake, and we got to stay there and eat up all their food. We introduced Kristin to Monty Python's Holy Grail - she fell asleep half-way through. I blame it on the fact that we started at 11:00 pm, not on the idea that she actually found it not funny... like my wife. With lines like, "I'm not dead yet!" and, "I'll bite your knee caps!" how could you not think it's funny.

Well, I guess I've rambled enough. I may post again tonight regarding some things God's been speaking to me. Shari posted one such here that God gave Paul W. for us. It's impacted us both, and caused us to seek Him more regarding where we're going and what to expect once we get there. For now, my boys need their dad to make lunch, and I have some thank you notes to write to those who have supported us for the past 1 to 13 years. May my next post be a bit more focused.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • It was good to read your blog. Thanks to Tina Ogle's connection!
    We love you all and are praying for you.

    Jo Huge

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home