An open letter to my dad (a bit early)

Dad,
I know it's not a recent picture, but it's the only one I could find on a computer. I didn't want to use the one from your website because it makes you look fat. Thankfully, your taste in ties has improved, as has your ability to match shirts with a tie.
There is much talk today about how fathers have hurt their children. When one reads books about God as a father, or about manhood, or anything of that nature, there’s always something about how one’s father has probably wounded one. John Eldredge’s book, Wild at Heart, talks about the wound of a father that needs God’s healing. All that is well and good, and I know that you would be the first to say that you weren’t a perfect dad; that you didn’t do everything right as you raised us. If I tried real hard I could probably think of times when you didn’t treat me right. I certainly told you how you were doing it wrong when I was in college watching you raise Jonathan.
I was reading another one of those stories today, being told that I need to see God as a perfect father. I tried to think of ways that you have wounded me, just to make sure that God has the opportunity to heal anything that may twisting my view of Him. All that kept coming to mind were the things you did right. So, I thought I’d share those with you.
Thank you, dad, for making me split firewood with you. You not only taught me the value of working hard, but you also simply spent time with Jason and me, teaching us by example. It didn’t hurt that we learned the skills you taught us, either.
Thank you, dad, for teaching me how to treat a lady – my wife, my mom, my sister, and any other lady I happen to come in contact with. You taught me by example, as well as showing me at the moment. You taught me that a female should be treated like a lady, whether she acts like one or not, and you taught me how to do that.
Thank you, dad, for instilling a heart for sexual purity into me. I didn’t always understand or think that I needed some of the boundaries you made (or tried to encourage after I left home), but, looking back, I see so much how you were right on, and what you protected me from. I know Shari appreciates it, too.
Thank you, dad, for modeling how to grow in my faith. You have, over the years, endeavored to walk a life worth following, and have modeled humility and a teachable heart. Even when I had a haughty attitude, you still tried to even learn from your son.
Thank you, dad, for being willing to step out in faith, even at the age of… whenever you decided to quit your job and become a missionary. I know it’s not easy, and you’ve had many people put you down for it. You’ve hung in there, pursuing God and not man’s approval, and other’s lives have been impacted for the Kingdom… including your children and grandchildren. I know it’s a sacrifice to go to Africa, to leave your grandchildren behind, to not be there to help your children with their problems, but you are following Christ, which takes a tremendous amount of faith that God loves us even more than you do.
Thank you, dad, for listening. You don’t have all the answers, but you always try to help, even when it’s not that big a deal to you.
I know it’s not Father’s Day, but I wanted to write this down before I forgot it. So, Happy Father’s Day… a bit early. If I forget your card, at least you know you’re thought of besides on Father’s Day. May God give me the wisdom, strength, and endurance I need to follow in your footsteps as you follow Christ. I’m praying for you.
1 Comments:
Paul,
Thank you for reminding all of us of the importance of fathers. It is always great to hear the account of a good father who loved his kids, spent time with them and modeled a "real" Christian life. I know he wasn't perfect, but he was and is a dad you can look up to. I hope I can be like him as well.
Doug
By
Anonymous, at 6:21 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home