Children and Entertainment
This was an interesting post on one person's view of how electronic games, video interaction, and other forms of entertainment have impacted our society negatively. Fascinating idea, and, having worked with primarily non-Christian students for the past 13 years, I would tend to agree. There are exceptions, just like there are exceptions for everything else. However, I would also say that, like with most things, entertainment, though a major role, isn't the only thing causing kids/young adults to be less able to communicate well, deal with conflict, or mature emotionally in general.
Case in point is another post I read recently (Where was that?) about how the church doesn't know how to deal with conflict. My experience has been that, generally, Christians, in the name of keeping the peace and forgiving our brother, run from conflict instead of engaging it in a healthy way. So our kids don't learn how to deal with conflict in a healthy way. The most frustrating part of that point - I know I'm guilty of not dealing with it well. But, I'm learning. One thing I'm still learning is how to deal with conflict lovingly, without bitterness, and without feeling like I have to "win." I'm making progress, though, thanks to watching three leaders in my life over the past six years: My pastors, Larry and Doug, and my (current) boss - Mark.
Anyway, it's an interesting read. Check it out.
Case in point is another post I read recently (Where was that?) about how the church doesn't know how to deal with conflict. My experience has been that, generally, Christians, in the name of keeping the peace and forgiving our brother, run from conflict instead of engaging it in a healthy way. So our kids don't learn how to deal with conflict in a healthy way. The most frustrating part of that point - I know I'm guilty of not dealing with it well. But, I'm learning. One thing I'm still learning is how to deal with conflict lovingly, without bitterness, and without feeling like I have to "win." I'm making progress, though, thanks to watching three leaders in my life over the past six years: My pastors, Larry and Doug, and my (current) boss - Mark.
Anyway, it's an interesting read. Check it out.
Labels: Miscellaneous
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home