Going where Jesus went... or where He calls us?
A friend of mine once challenged me with the idea that doing incarnational youth ministry means to go to the poor, broken, and, in general, the stereo-typical, "at-risk" kid. In short, we're to go where Jesus went... or generally seemed to go. This has been sitting in my mind for a while now, and I've been chewing on it, thinking about whether he's right or not. Obviously, if so, it would definitely make an impact on how and where I do ministry. So, I thought I'd write out my thoughts to clear my brain.
Now, I have no trouble with the idea that we need to go to those students, or those people even. We need to do as Jesus would, getting into their world, building relationship, and communicating God's love through word and action. But, as I've thought about his words, the implication seems to be that we shouldn't (Jesus wouldn't?) go to those who are wealthy, intellectual, and/or important (by the world's standards). After all, if we're to be like Jesus, and we don't see him doing too much with those types of people other than rebuking them, then shouldn't we only/primarily go where He did? I don't think so, and here's why.
1) Jesus did go where they were. I don't believe the rich young ruler was an anomaly. I'm thinking that there seemed to be plenty of wealthy people who hung with Jesus, including the wife of Herod's steward. Not all the Pharisees were against him. Jairus, a synagogue ruler, was definitely on the upper end of the social ladder.
2) Paul didn't seem to have a problem going to where those people were. I know he's not Jesus, but he was certainly a follower of Christ, so we've at least got to check out his example. In fact, in my opinion (w/o doing any research, just off the top of my head), it seems to me that was primarily whom he went to.
3) Most importantly, we're called by Jesus to a) go into all the world, and b) go to those who are hurting and broken. That means that being incarnational (Jesus in their world) means going to whomever God calls us to go to.
I know where my friend was coming from. Too often we use the above as an excuse to only go to those we're comfortable going to. The wealthy, important, etc. make most of us feel comfortable, at the very least, if not important, too. The poor, broken, etc. are often (I know - this is a stereo-type) dirty, they don't have the money to do the fun things we enjoy, and we often can't relate as well to them. None of these are an excuse to not pursue those people. As a youth pastor, I must endeavor to reach the people Jesus is calling me to, whomever they may be, and from whatever social area they come from. My call is to be Jesus to everybody to the best of my ability. Am I willing to go even where I'm not comfortable, to "the least of these?" Am I willing to take the risk of going wherever His light is dim and His voice not heard, even if that means that I might get hurt, dirty, or poor in the process? I hope I haven't become so comfortable that my answer is anything other than a resounding YES.
Now, I have no trouble with the idea that we need to go to those students, or those people even. We need to do as Jesus would, getting into their world, building relationship, and communicating God's love through word and action. But, as I've thought about his words, the implication seems to be that we shouldn't (Jesus wouldn't?) go to those who are wealthy, intellectual, and/or important (by the world's standards). After all, if we're to be like Jesus, and we don't see him doing too much with those types of people other than rebuking them, then shouldn't we only/primarily go where He did? I don't think so, and here's why.
1) Jesus did go where they were. I don't believe the rich young ruler was an anomaly. I'm thinking that there seemed to be plenty of wealthy people who hung with Jesus, including the wife of Herod's steward. Not all the Pharisees were against him. Jairus, a synagogue ruler, was definitely on the upper end of the social ladder.
2) Paul didn't seem to have a problem going to where those people were. I know he's not Jesus, but he was certainly a follower of Christ, so we've at least got to check out his example. In fact, in my opinion (w/o doing any research, just off the top of my head), it seems to me that was primarily whom he went to.
3) Most importantly, we're called by Jesus to a) go into all the world, and b) go to those who are hurting and broken. That means that being incarnational (Jesus in their world) means going to whomever God calls us to go to.
I know where my friend was coming from. Too often we use the above as an excuse to only go to those we're comfortable going to. The wealthy, important, etc. make most of us feel comfortable, at the very least, if not important, too. The poor, broken, etc. are often (I know - this is a stereo-type) dirty, they don't have the money to do the fun things we enjoy, and we often can't relate as well to them. None of these are an excuse to not pursue those people. As a youth pastor, I must endeavor to reach the people Jesus is calling me to, whomever they may be, and from whatever social area they come from. My call is to be Jesus to everybody to the best of my ability. Am I willing to go even where I'm not comfortable, to "the least of these?" Am I willing to take the risk of going wherever His light is dim and His voice not heard, even if that means that I might get hurt, dirty, or poor in the process? I hope I haven't become so comfortable that my answer is anything other than a resounding YES.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home