Site Meter

Paul's Thinking Place

Friday, April 07, 2006

Bob's Island Getaway - The Guys!


Dave and I had five guys in our small group. Here they are, along with some guys from Burlington that went Mt. Biking with us. (For more pictures, visit my YD web site here.) These were great guys. Three of our guys had girlfriends in the group (the whole group, not the guys' group), and one is going to be a dad in Nov. One young man ("George") usually says a total of five sentences on a Monday night... if his girlfriend isn't carrying the conversation. He's just not real talkative. Yet George opened up over the weekend. God's working on his heart, and George is processing what it would look like to walk with Jesus. The rest of the young men have made commitments to Christ before, so we talked a lot about what it would look like to quit being content with a "Get-Out-Of-Hell-Free Card" and actually allow Jesus into "our space." In fact, what would it look like to not only allow Him in, but allow Him to be in control. "Fred" put it really well - "I need to start walking the talk." With that in mind, Dave is doing a Bible study on the basics of Christianity with two of the young men, and another two are going to start meeting with me every Tuesday for lunch to read through Mark in order to learn what it means to "Walk as Jesus did."
I'm looking forward to this tremendous opportunity to disciple these students in their faith. On the other hand, I'm also looking forward to the difficult conversations that will come, and have already come - forgiving those who have hurt us, how to truly care for a girfriend, what is sex and why does God tell us not to until we're married. Ultimately, we'll be talking a lot about holiness, I have a feeling. I want to go deep with these guys, and not just give them only milk. They're smart enough that I think they're ready for more than just "You shouldn't do this, and you should to that as a Christian."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home