Moving into Day 3
Yesterday was a rough day. I can't seem to shake this flu/cold/cough - thing, and yesterday was especially bad. Still, I was able to attend most of the conference. One thing I like about the conference is that is starts relatively late (9:00 am), and is over by 5:00 pm. This leaves time for things like networking (were I healthy), following up with the team (if I had one), or just exploring Chicago (again, if I were healthy). It also allows for plenty of rest... or at least plenty of opportunity.
So, I haven't told you about, "Increasing Your Leadership Capacity." I'll give you a synopsis with a few lessons.
1) Stress is what makes us stronger. Avoiding stress doesn't help us in the long run. We simply must learn how to a)manage how much stress we get (too much, too little, or just right), b)learn how much stress is enough to grow us w/o destroying us, and c)make sure we have plenty of recovery time after stress. I think I took on a bit too much stress, and definitely didn't give myself enough recovery time afterwards with the auction. So, should I not have led the auction, or worked in more recovery time during and after the auction process? Hmmm...
2) There are four sections to our lives - Physical, Emotional, Mental, and Spiritual. Each section has three components in living it out - Capacity (how much we're able to manage/hold/do), Recovery, and Ritual/Habits (acquired behavior in the service of our mission). We need a healthy balance of each of those components in order for each of the sections to be healthy. If one section is unhealthy, then ask the question of what component of that section is unhealthy and take care of it. An obvious example is that when we are sick (I am), we need some recovery time (I am not... very well, any way).
There was more, but this is definitely something where I want to get the DVD to watch this man again to go deeper in what was said. It was good, but I don't think I'm going to learn what I need to know in one short lesson. In fact, the three guinea pigs he used for his lesson examples took over three months to get it and put it into practice. However, when they did, it transformed their ability to lead and live well. I want to learn and grow, too.
So, I haven't told you about, "Increasing Your Leadership Capacity." I'll give you a synopsis with a few lessons.
1) Stress is what makes us stronger. Avoiding stress doesn't help us in the long run. We simply must learn how to a)manage how much stress we get (too much, too little, or just right), b)learn how much stress is enough to grow us w/o destroying us, and c)make sure we have plenty of recovery time after stress. I think I took on a bit too much stress, and definitely didn't give myself enough recovery time afterwards with the auction. So, should I not have led the auction, or worked in more recovery time during and after the auction process? Hmmm...
2) There are four sections to our lives - Physical, Emotional, Mental, and Spiritual. Each section has three components in living it out - Capacity (how much we're able to manage/hold/do), Recovery, and Ritual/Habits (acquired behavior in the service of our mission). We need a healthy balance of each of those components in order for each of the sections to be healthy. If one section is unhealthy, then ask the question of what component of that section is unhealthy and take care of it. An obvious example is that when we are sick (I am), we need some recovery time (I am not... very well, any way).
There was more, but this is definitely something where I want to get the DVD to watch this man again to go deeper in what was said. It was good, but I don't think I'm going to learn what I need to know in one short lesson. In fact, the three guinea pigs he used for his lesson examples took over three months to get it and put it into practice. However, when they did, it transformed their ability to lead and live well. I want to learn and grow, too.
Labels: Personal, Youth Ministry
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home